Wellness

Letter to My Younger Self: You Don’t Need a Valentine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Dear younger me,

I know you might feel a little awkward as the years go by; each Valentine’s Day is practically the same. All the people around you seem so in love, yet you are stuck in the same place. No one to bring you flowers, go on dates with you, or simply just stay beside you. Valentine’s Day becomes the celebration in which you get to see all the couples flaunt their relationships on social media while you are just one of their spectators, constantly reminded that you are all alone. 

I’m writing to let you know that everything’s gonna be alright, even if it might not seem like it right now. You are not unloved or “not enough” just because you don’t have a significant other by your side on Valentine’s Day. Yes, this is a day to celebrate love, but… who’s to say that you can only celebrate romantic love? 

The first thing you must realize is that you’ve got yourself. You can get some flowers and go have fun on your own. Learn to love yourself even when you’re alone, because you are the person that must stand by you through it all. As the future you, I must also tell you that you are worthy of love, even if your mind tries to tell you otherwise.

You can find love in the tiniest places, even if it’s not romantic love. You can find it in your mom’s eyes, your sibling’s trust, Alana’s laughter, Adri’s support, Elvis’s hugs… and believe me when I tell you that they’re never gonna leave you on your own, even when your darkest thoughts start to overwhelm you. They are gonna be by your side—and in the end, that’s what matters: being with the ones you love on the day where you’re supposed to celebrate love.

With love, 

Future you.

Angélica is a Comparative Literature in the University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras Campus. She's a wannabe writer that can be found cuddled up in her bed reading a book. Her biggest obsession is Harry Potter and anything to do with it. She has a lot of dreams for her future and hopes to work in a publishing house someday.