This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

The library that has been greatly missed, the José M. Lázaro building, will be reopening and continuing its operations for the days of January 17, 18, and 19 with special hours.  These changes came as the University of Puerto Rico Río Piedras Campus will be hosting an open house on the 18th and 19th.

After Hurricane Maria, various libraries had closed on campus. Slowly but surely, most have opened. It wasn’t until recently that the Lázaro building, appreciated by students for its collections and amenities, has re-opened after two and a half months with limited access to the facility.

It will be operating from Wednesday to Friday, during the previous dates mentioned, from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm. After Saturday, January 20th, the libraries along with their collections on campus will be opening on their usually accustomed operating hours.

From within the Lázaro, the sections that will be offering their services will be:

1. Colección de las Artes

This collection can be found in Colección de Referencia y Revistas on the first floor.

2. Colección Puertorriqueña

This one will be in Biblioteca Regional del Caribe on the first floor.

3. Libros raros

Rare books will be found on the second floor in the collection for documents and maps.

Other libraries that will still be operating simultaneously are:

1. Biblioteca Angel Quintero Alfaro in the General Studies faculty within the Jaime Benítez Rexach building.

2. The communications faculty’s library which is currently being temporarily held in the Rafael Pico library in the 6th floor of Torre Central de Plaza Universitaria.

3. Biblioteca Monserrate Santana de Pales (social work) will be in CRAI Adelaide Barela, the fourth floor of Torre Central de Plaza Universitaria.

Remember that the library’s many resources can also be accessed by logging into the library system’s web page!

Image credits: 1, 2 & 3.

Born and raised in Puerto Rico, Josie is a senior in the UPR-Río Piedras campus, majoring in English Literature. When she's not on campus, you can find her browsing a bookstore (as if her TBR pile isn't big enough already!). Books and writing are what drives this girl--apart from fighting to destigmatize mental illnesses and raising awareness about the importance of consent. Josie enjoys traveling, bingeing on spicy food and a lot of sweets, blasting Bieber, and adding shows or movies to her Netflix queue that she'll never get to. Josie is a junior editor for the Rio Piedras chapter in Puerto Rico. If you want to see what else Josie is up to, you can catch her on her bookstagram.