harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

On Kate Spade, Depression and Mental Illness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

On June 5th, 2018, the world received the sad news that the established designer Kate Spade had passed. For many, like myself, this was shocking and heartbreaking as we had seen closely the work that Mrs. Spade had provided to the world. Her death was also shocking for another reason: Mrs. Spade committed suicide in her Park Avenue apartment in New York. Ms. Spade leaves behind her daughter Frances and her husband, Andy Spade.

A Missouri native, Kate Spade started her brand in 1993 along with her husband/business partner Andy Spade. Her brand started after a suggestion from Andy when Kate wasn’t sure about her next career move after logging six years at Mademoiselle. Originally, the business started out with the Sam handbag and was only making colorful lively bags for consumers. Eventually, Andy withdrew $35,000 from his 401K account to fund the production of Kate’s handbags. Her debut line infused classic shapes, colors, and fabrics into a now-iconic square bag with a little black label sewn to the outside of the bag that said “Kate Spade New York.” In 1996, Spade’s company opened its first shop in New York City’s SoHo. Everywhere people went to New York from about 1997-2000, it would have been impossible to avoid seeing women carrying that simple nylon bag. The company started from nothing, and after 1998 it started to expand, with sales totaling $27 million. In 2017, she was named one of the Most Creative People in Business by Fast Company. By 2018, her international businesses had a total net worth of $2.4 billion according to Forbes.

Kate Spade was a revolutionary in bringing color and life into a very rigid and colorless fashion world. Her designs were creative, fun and lively. Which is why it was such a shock to learn about the news. It was also a shock because it is commonly thought to believe that because a person is an accomplished and well-off, they have it all and do not experience the dark depths of being depressed.

This misunderstanding is very common. Depression does not discriminate. It is important to take people’s pain seriously when they are in angst and sadness. No amount of money, riches or accomplishments can cure severe mental illness. No amount of physical belongings can diminish suicidal thoughts. The pain that Kade was experiencing does not discriminate income, levels of fame or industry. These issues should be taken seriously and anyone suffering should seek professional help and alert close friends and family members about their feelings.

Her death is a painful lesson that we should not invalidate another person’s pain because of their monetary status or their popularity. It’s also a reminder to be kind to one another because we never really know what another person is going through. We don’t have to complicate other people’s lives or add struggle to what they’re facing.

I personally was very saddened by the news. Kate Spade New York is my favorite designer brand because it’s fun, lively and young. It was very heartbreaking to learn that the person making these designs was battling with dark demons. It’s also personal because I can relate to having a lot of great things in my life and to still feel unhappy. It’s a very sensitive topic, but we should address accordingly and seek help.

Depression is very serious and those that have experienced it know that building a strong system is key. We should be more open to talking about it because it affects everyone regardless of race, background or economic status. Mental illness should also be discussed in more professional/corporate environments. Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in America. We need to be honest about how we feel and find ways to help ourselves.

Don’t give up on yourself when things get hard. Life is hard, but it’s worth living. Please seek help if you are having thoughts of suicide, call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255 (TALK) or go to SpeakingOfSuicide.com/resources for a list of additional resources.

Lizbeth is an undergraduate student at the University of Puerto rico in Rio Piedras.