jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How Random Acts of Kindness Can Change The World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Okay, maybe not completely change the world… but they could make it just a little bit better to live in. With all the hate going around, kindness is much needed in today’s world and you can start providing it with even the most effortless acts.

Certain acts, even very simple ones, can place a ray of sunshine in someone’s cloudy day. Little things like a smile, saying thank you or opening a door for someone can make a difference for somebody who may need it. And don’t forget how good you’ll feel afterwards, knowing you just made someone’s day.

According to the Australian Kindness Movement’s website, an act of kindness is defined as “a spontaneous gesture of goodwill towards someone or something”. Pretty simple, right? Well, even though it’s such an easy thing to do, not a lot of people do it.

I cannot tell you how many people (strangers) have ignored me when I smile as I walk past them. I get it, maybe they aren’t that social, but just a simple smile would have been nice. Performing random acts of kindness takes no more than a few minutes, which is another reason why more people should be doing it!

Last week, February 11-17, 2018, was International RAK week (Random Acts of Kindness week) made by The Random Acts of Kindness Foundation. It is heavily encouraged to perform many acts of kindness during that week (but they should be done all year round). So, here’s a list of a few things you can do if you want to take part in this movement:

1. Buy food for a homeless person on your next trip to a fast food or restaurant.
  2. Compliment someone’s hair, makeup, outfit, or anything else.
  3. Donate your old clothes to people in need.
  4. Call your grandparents for once.
  5. Text good morning or good night to someone.
  6. Make plans with an old friend you haven’t talked to or seen in a while.
  7. Give your seat to someone on the train or bus.
  8. Bake something for your neighbors and visit them.
  9. Offer to wash someone’s car for free.
  10. Stop and help someone whose car has a flat tire.
  11. Wish your professor a good day after the class ends.
  12. Leave a nice note in someone’s mailbox.
  13. Enjoy a judgement-free day.
  14. Make a social media post about your friends and how much you appreciate them.
  15. Plan a surprise party for a friend’s birthday.

If you need a little more inspiration, I suggest you watch this video from LifeVestInside. It shows just how acts of kindness affect others and how they can create a chain that can ultimately change the world.

Studies have shown that doing kind things makes you happier and increases your self-love and respect. If you do some of these acts on a daily basis, you might find yourself in a better mood more often. Go ahead, try it! Right now, I dare you to do any of the things on this list. If possible, please share a picture of your act on social media and tag us! Go on, BE KIND!

Image credit:

1. Culinary Service Group

2. SWPS University