free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Manage Work and Study

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

This week at Her Campus, we’re bringing back-to-the semester help with a bunch of helpful articles like this one! At the start of each semester, many of us students face the challenge of balancing work and study. Whether it’s a part-time job or a full-time 40-hour week job, organizing time is difficult.

I have been doing both since I entered freshman year of college. A lot of students, such as myself, have to take many responsibilities in order to subsidize our education and our overall expenses.

The key to making it work long term is time management.

I’ve narrowed down a list of key components to surviving this semester if you have both work and study:

1. Prioritize

Prioritizing our tasks is essential for making the most out of every day. What I do is that I list every single activity I have to do on a weekly and daily basis, then I organize them based on urgency and things that have to get done first. There are many ways to set up priorities, so you can choose your very own. The important thing is to recognize that not prioritizing can lead to many troubles.

2.  Good planning and organization

Along with prioritizing, you have to plan accordingly and organize yourself. It’s important to plan a realistic schedule where you can take breaks. It’s also important to make a schedule where you can actually follow along with your plans and be productive. Being organized will also help you to be ahead of everything.

3. Stay balanced

In theory, we can plan a schedule that seems perfect, but as we go along we may notice that it might be difficult to fulfill. Make sure you are not depriving yourself of breaks and taking time for the activities you enjoy. Time off is necessary for us to function correctly. So, taking into consideration time for sleep, for socializing and for relaxation is just as vital. Studies even show that taking breaks can be beneficial for our productivity.

4. Keep all parties informed

All parties involved (professors, supervisors, managers) should be informed our your schedules and your plans, as well as any other updates or changes. I would highly suggest talking to your supervisor about your academic goals, so both of you can find ways of making it work; as well letting your professors know that you work and your responsibilities in your job.

5. Remember the goal

Stay focused and dedicated to your goals and what you want to achieve, because life happens. Do not beat yourself up if ever a plan does not go accordingly, this is all part of the process. The important part is to keep moving forward even when life gets difficult. Put your goals into action and work hard to make them come true. You will be satisfied with the end result of your efforts.

Studies are already stressful enough, but you can do this. You are not alone in the college struggle. It’s okay to ask for help and to make the necessary decisions to achieve your goals.

As poet Antonio Machado said:  “There is no way.You make your way by going further”

Sources:

Journal Article: Brief diversions vastly improve focus, researchers find

Poem: Traveler, your footprints

Lizbeth is an undergraduate student at the University of Puerto rico in Rio Piedras.