This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

In the face of uncertainty, everyone seemed to have the perfect lockdown life. The pervading idea of hustling, no matter the circumstances, was at its peak. During the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, we were being told the same message by everyone in our lives: we now have time to do more. 

After being forced to stay inside, it seemed to be the perfect moment to learn to cook, start working out, organize our entire houses, write a book, and do everything we ever dreamed of.

Is this idea of “Coronavirus productivity” as simple as it sounds, though? Most certainly not. Although some people were completely fine accomplishing these things, others could barely get out of bed every day. Both of these cases are okay; we’re all coping with a  terrifying global issue in completely different ways. 

What’s not right, however, is the pressure to overachieve, even amidst a devastating pandemic, which is reflective of our society’s desperate and unrealistic desire to be perfect at all times. So, how can we make the most out of quarantine without glorifying productivity? Here are five ways to help you redefine your thoughts to feel like you are doing enough:

Accept everything that is beyond your control

Don’t get me wrong, it’s necessary to be responsible for your actions, and take ownership of your mistakes. However, there is nothing that relieves more stress than acknowledging the things you can’t control. Whether you lost a loved one due to the Coronavirus, experienced an accident, or simply had bad luck, let go of the inevitable. This will allow you to invest your energy in everything that you have, in yourself, who you are and in things you can control.

Transition from a fixed to a growth mindset

Buddha once said, “Thoughts become actions.” I couldn’t agree more. Having a fixed mindset, where our character and behavior is fixed and unable to change significantly, will limit your potential, as well as your success. On the contrary, overcoming adversity with the belief that you can always grow, drives individuals to learn continuously. The power of our mindsets can have a dramatic effect in almost every aspect of our lives.

Gratitude: the key to release the pressure that you put on yourself

Repeat after me: stop self-pressuring! Beating yourself up will get you nowhere. Instead, practicing gratitude by appreciating your life, regardless of your circumstances, will comfort you in your worst moments. Keeping a gratitude journal is an excellent way to keep yourself grounded and thankful by putting your feelings on paper.

Don’t compare yourself to others

It’s easy to fall into this trap. But the truth is, there will always be someone better than you. No matter who you are, you have been, or will be, someone’s DUFF. So, you might as well just accept it. Refrain from the toxic habit of comparing yourself to others and focus on yourself by setting personal goals and challenges and working towards becoming the best version of yourself. 

Take a break from social media

Facebook, Instagram and Twitter: they’re all addictive, but that’s not all they are. If consumed in excess, they can overwhelm you. Social media is full of people whose lives look like they’re perfect, which may not always be true. One thing for sure is that you deserve taking breaks from social media. If you feel like you need it, don’t hesitate.

Overall, please ignore all that productivity nonsense that the media forces us to believe. At the end of the day, whatever you do will not matter if you are not okay. So, take a deep breath and let it sink in: you are doing just enough.

Nicole is a Chemistry major, who also happens to love Biology. She is an avid learner, and has a passion for science, literature and journalism. Eventually, the young dreamer aspires to merge her passions as a neurosurgeon, researcher and writer. She enjoys eating chocolate ice cream, "mofongo," and her abuelita's fried "chuletas." Three essential words to describe her would be inquisitive, determined and honest.