Wellness

A Guide for a Selfish Valentine’s Day: Take Yourself Out on a Special Date

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

“Self-love is not selfish; you cannot truly love another until you know how to love yourself.”

“You can’t pour from an empty cup.”

“In order to give love, you require to own it first.”

Oh, we’ve all heard these sayings before. They encourage us on the importance of loving ourselves, but have we genuinely stopped to reflect on how we take care of ourselves? It’s so common to take self-love for granted, as a default system already built-in that we don’t need to frequently maintain. Even I’ve been guilty of following this train of thought, but since we’re in 2021 and change is in style, join me in making a difference this Valentine’s Day and every day!

As a single gal, I make sure to pamper myself even more than usual to deeply feel the warmth of loving each and every bit of myself, and I want you to do the same regardless of your relationship status. Here’s some ideas to be selfishly fabulous during this season:

Order take-out or try a new recipe

I don’t know about you guys, but a happy belly equals a happy me. I tally up both take-out and cooking in case you’re a kitchen aficionado and making new recipes puts you in a good mood. So, hit that Pinterest board of yours where you have been pinning exquisite plates, or if not, order whatever your heart desires; don’t limit yourself. Remember, this is a special date after all! And if you want to be a little extra, get your favorite beverage: wine, soda, beer, it’s up to you, sweetie. 

Have a complete bath time session

I call this one “Cleopatra’s ritual:” full bath time routine, because self-love also means caring for your body. Cleanse your skin, wash your hair— take the time to detangle it. If you’re up for it, you can do an elaborate skincare routine, with serums, oils, and all that jazz. Take all the time you need, listen to your body, and obey. 

Set up a mood

Turn the lights down and dim your surroundings with some fairy lights or scented candles, whatever feels the most romantic to you. Then you can set up a nice playlist to kick back and relax or maybe groove to an up-beat tune and dance it out. Nobody knows what you love more than yourself, so do as you please as long as you have fun and enjoy your own company. 

Pick a rom-com or whatever you feel like watching

Watching rom-coms on Valentine’s Day is a classic, but we have to admit that this might not necessarily be everyone’s cup of tea. Perhaps you’re in a mood for some spooky horror films instead of the soapy classics and that’s perfectly fine; or you can engage in  binge-watching your favourite sitcom for, like, the millionth time. Besides, you’ll be by yourself, so nobody is going to judge and there will be no room to fight over what to watch. It’s your night, you decide.

Do some journaling

Write down your emotions, whatever it is that you’re feeling at the moment. You can also create a gratitude list or a things-that-make-you-happy list. Or if you’re feeling romantic, go ahead and write yourself a love letter. Keeping in touch with your mental state is also a way of looking out for yourself. Be as obnoxiously selfish as possible when it comes to taking time to understand your emotions, because how you’re feeling is valid and important. And don’t let any intrusive thought make you think otherwise.

Remember, there is no right way to do self-care, and it’s not necessarily going to be easy all the time. I hope this little guide to self-love helps you, and to keep in mind how we all need to embark on our own self-love journey because it’s so worth it. Happy Valentine’s Day sweet ones, you’re all loved.

Paola is a young writer who enjoys sharing advice and helping others. She is currently finishing a BA in Statistics and likes to use her spare time to have fun with friends and family.