samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

College is more than just going to class; it’s a balance of fun with friends and time to explore. That’s why internships are the fail-safe way to go! You meet new people, gain work experience in your inclined career path, and, if you play your cards right, perhaps travel and earn some money along the way! Here are three internship companies you can look into for future plans!

1. Absolute Internship 

Absolute Internship helps students find international internships, such as in Shanghai, Beijing, Hong Kong, Singapore, London, Madrid and Barcelona! Although students don’t receive a salary, they provide residence, local transportation, contacts and networking opportunities for the applicant. I was abroad in Barcelona this past summer for a month long internship thanks to them! They networked my curriculum vitae with companies located in Barcelona, and I interned for Metal Magazine during July 2018.

Besides workdays, I had time to explore the city and adopt the Mediterranean lifestyle. It was a challenge, but I’ll return to the company next summer!

2. Charles Koch Institute 

This company provides paid internships for students who want careers in journalism and media. The student can choose to apply for the summer long internship or year-long position while earning a salary.  

They’re based in Washington, D.C., and their programs vary from a semester to a whole year.

3. Congressional Hispanic Leadership Institute 

The Congressional Hispanic Leadership Institute (CHLI), founded in 2003 by members of Congress, is a non-profit organization which seeks to provide congressional representation for Hispanics and Latinos. The institute offers internships for college students, with amenities included, to live and work in Washington, DC.

Like I said, make college mean more than just going to lectures and cramming for assignments. These are your prime years, make the most of them! These are just three viable options; take time this summer to research ideas for next year. If you do so, you’ll have work experience after graduation and have one foot in a future job!

Ana Teresa Solá is a Creative Writing student at the University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras Campus and aspires to further her education with an M.S. in Journalism. Solá covers all things society and culture, and advocates for human equality.