This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

This year’s Emmy awards had the most diverse group of nominees in its entire history. The hosts were sure to mention that in what I consider to be one of the best openings in Emmy history.

The 2018 Emmy’s were Hosted by Saturday Night Live members, Colin Jost, and Michael Che. On this golden night of television, the event opened with Kate McKinnon, Kenan Thompson, Andy Samberg, John Legend, Kristen Bell, Titus Burgess, Sterling K. Brown, and Ricky Martin joined forces to sing a song called, “We Solved It!” praising the long way diversity has come on television. They also find a way to comment that even though television is being more inclusive, it still needs more work. Baby steps.

The first awards of the night were from the Comedy Category, the Emmy for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series went to Henry Winkler for the series Barry. Bill Hader, also from Barry, won the Emmy for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series. The Emmy for Outstanding Supporting Actress In A Comedy Series went to Alex Borstein for The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel won a total of four awards:  the Emmys for Outstanding Writing and Directing, Amy Sherman Palladino; Outstanding Lead Actress, Rachel Brosnahan; and the Emmy for Outstanding Comedy Series.

Pictured above, Amy Sherman Palladino

Onto the Limited Series Category.  Godless actors Merrit Weaver and Jeff Daniels won the Emmys for Outstanding Supporting Actress and Actor in a Limited Series respectively. Black Mirror: USS Callister won an Emmy for Outstanding Writing for a Limited Series, which was received by writers Charlie Brooker and William Bridges.

The legendary Betty White was then honored in the ceremony, with her receiving a standing ovation from the guests in the venue.

After Betty White’s recognition, the award for Outstanding Directing in a Limited Series was presented to Ryan Murphy for his work in American Crime Story: The Assassination of Gianni Versace. Darren Criss, the star of American Crime Story (and my favorite) won the Emmy for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Limited Series. It was a very well deserved award. Regina King won the Outstanding Lead Actress in a Limited Series for her role in Seven Seconds. The Assassination of Gianni Versace wound up winning the Emmy for Outstanding Limited Series, as well,  marking another winning streak for Ryan Murphy.

Pictured above, Darren Criss

Everyone’s favorite comedian, John Mulaney, won for Outstanding Writing for a Variety Special. Then, the most memorable (and tweetable) moment of the show happened. Glen Weiss won the Emmy for Outstanding Directing for a Variety Series when in the middle of his speech, he proposed to his longtime girlfriend. She accepted in the midst of the shock and surprise of everyone in the theatre. It was a beautiful and surprising moment.

After the proposal, and the infinite references to it that followed, the Emmys for the Drama Category were presented. Peter Dinklage, who drinks and knows things, from Game of Thrones won the Emmy for Outstanding Supporting Actor. Thandie Newton, Mauve from Westworld, won the Emmy for Outstanding Supporting Actress.

The Emmy for Outstanding Writing in a Drama Series surprisingly went to The Americans, beating longtime favorite, Game of Thrones. Meanwhile, Outstanding Directing went to The Crown. I was incredibly surprised by these wins. In the Acting Category, Matthew Rhys and Claire Foy won for Outstanding Lead Actor and Actress. Game of Thrones finally snatched its second award of the night in the form of the Emmy for Outstanding Drama Series. I was very happy until I realized that This Is Us lost again… Maybe next year.

Other awards included Outstanding Reality Competition Program which went to RuPaul’s Drag Race, Outstanding Variety Sketch Series for Saturday Night Live, and Outstanding Variety Talk Series which was won by Last Week Tonight with John Oliver.

And those were the 2018 Primetime Emmy Awards! To be honest, this year was full of surprises and great moments. I loved how the talk of diversity was the topic of the night, and that everyone recognized that television could do better, not use stereotypes, and be open to all sorts of new material that is outside the box.

Check out the full list of winners here.

Image Credits: 1 2 3 4 

Gabriela is currently an English Major at the University of Puerto Rico. When she isn't reading fantasy books, she can be found writing them. She is a Vegetarian Hufflepuff that loves zombie fiction, an irony in itself. An aspiring filmmaker, she one day dreams of winning an Oscar for her films.