This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

We have decided to give Thanksgiving a spark by selecting these recipes that differ to what a traditional Thanksgiving dinner would be. With some sweet and exciting twists that are sure to make your dinner am interesting and memorable one, we hope you enjoy making these wonderful recipes provided!

We all know what’s cooking for Thanksgiving! Turkey! But why cook it traditionally when you can sweeten up a bit.  And there is a way that it can be done efficiently with, believe it or not, Coca Cola. Yes, we are introducing Turkey a la Coca Cola! It’s pretty simple and delicious to taste since it goes with any side dish that you may prefer.

You will need:

·         Turkey breasts

·         1 can of Coca Cola

·         Roasting pan or dutch oven

·         Any condiments of your choosing for the turkey

Instructions:

·         Put the turkey breast in a roasting pan or dutch oven.

·         Pour half the can of Coca-Cola over the turkey. This is where you can add your preferred condiments such as onions, parsley, carrots, etc.

·         Roast in 325 Fahrenheit degree oven, basting often, add more coke if necessary (Do it!).

·         Finally, keep an eye on the turkey constantly until it’s done; it is recommended to put a timer approximately for 45min but do check in between times. To be certain of when the turkey is done you can use a meat thermometer. When it reaches 195 degrees, it’s ready!

·         EAT :) 

P.S. You can use the pan drippings to make sweet gravy!

Source: www.food.com

A Boricua holiday is no holiday without rice. I will be sharing the recipe for an amazing “arroz griego”.

You will need

·         Rice

·         1 can of Campbell’s French Onions

·         1 can of Campbell’s Consomé (this depends on how much rice you want to make)

·         Bacon

·         Salt

·         Olive oil

·         Some basic ingredients like (sofrito, sazón, cubitos).

Instructions:

·         First you have to fry the bacon.

·         In the stove, you will replace water for the cans of Campbell’s.

·         Pour the 2 cans as well as the basic condiments, salt, olive oil, and the bacon.

·         Then pour the rice. Make sure it’s set on high until it starts to boil, then put on low with the lid on until cooked.

·         Check and move from time to time and stir occasionally. 

And now for the really healthy part! It’s not as boring as you may expect. A healthy tummy is the happiest tummy! Considering that it is Thanksgiving… it is understandable to go off on food.  But for those who wish to maintain themselves while also enjoying good food, here’s a great recipe that will curb the guilt and fill your stomach!  can do that, too!

Of course, salad is also involved. But let’s admit that it’s very delicious, especially on Thanksgiving dinner!

Here’s one you may try:

Quick ‘n easy Cranberry, Nuts, and Feta Cheese Salad

You will need:

·         2 cups mixed salad greens (could be spinach and romaine salad, or greens of your choice)

·         1 cup dried sweetened cranberries (Ocean Spray)

·         4 ounces crumbled feta cheese

·         1⁄2 cup of toasted walnut and/or almond pieces

·         2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

·         1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil

Instructions:

·         Toss greens, cranberries, cheese, and nuts in a bowl.

·         Add vinegar and oil gradually, to your taste.  

·         Pour over salad and mix everything together.

Enjoy and digest!

Gluten Free Stuffing!*

*recipe by Gluten Free Girl 

You will need:

·         8 cups of gluten-free 1-inch bread cubes (approximately 2 sandwich loaves)

·         2 tablespoons of olive oil

·         1 tablespoon of unsalted butter

·         2 ribs celery (diced)

·         1 large onion (peeled and diced)

·         1 teaspoon (of each) of chopped fresh rosemary, sage, and thyme

·         2 cups hot stock (turkey or chicken)

·         3 large eggs

·         Salt and pepper

Instructions:

·         Preheat the oven to 425 degrees in Fahrenheit.

·         Place the bread cubes in a large bowl. Set a small pan on high heat and pour in the stock. Cook to boil then leave it simmering on the back burner.

·         Beat the eggs together in a bowl.

·         Set a large sauté pan on medium-high heat as you put the oil and butter in the pan.

·         When it is heated enough and the liquids move around the pan, you may add the diced celery and onions.

·         Cook them, stirring, until they are soft and luminous for about 7 minutes.

·         Add the fresh herbs to the pan and cook, stirring, wait around 1 minute.

·         Toss the softened celery and onions into the bowl with the bread cubes. Place it all into a 3-quart casserole pan. 

·         Pour a few the hot stock into the beaten eggs. Stir, quickly until the stock is integrated.

·         Pour the eggy stock over the pan of bread cubes. Press down on the cubes with your hands, distributing the liquid evenly. Cover the casserole pan with aluminum foil.

·         Slide the stuffing into the oven and cook for 20 minutes. Remove the aluminum foil and cook until the stuffing is steaming hot and browned, but not dry, about 10 more minutes.

·         If you can stick a toothpick into the middle of the stuffing and have it come out clean, the stuffing is done!

And now for the best part, which is not pumpkin related; that’s right!  I’m going to share an amazing recipe of a Layered Turtle Cheesecake!

You will need:

• Flour,
  • Brown sugar
  •  Chopped pecans 
  • Butter
  •  Cream cheese
  •  Heavy whipping cream
  •  Vanilla extract
  •  Eggs
  • Milk chocolate chips
  •  Caramel ice cream topping
  • And chopped pecans.

Instructions:

·         Place a greased spring-form pan on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Securely wrap foil around pan.

·         In a small bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar and pecans; cut in butter until crumbly. Press onto the bottom of prepared pan. Place pan on a baking sheet. Bake at 325° for 12-15 minutes or until set. Cool on a wire rack.

·         In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugars until smooth. Beat in 1/4 cup flour, cream and vanilla. Add eggs; beat on low speed just until blended. Remove 1 cup batter to a small bowl; stir in melted chocolate. Spread over crust.

·         In another bowl, mix caramel topping and remaining flour; stir in pecans. Drop by tablespoonful’s over chocolate batter. Top with remaining batter. Place spring-form pan in a large baking pan; add 1 in. of hot water to larger pan.

·         Bake at 325° Fahrenheit, for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until center is just set and top appears dull. Remove spring-form pan from water bath; remove foil. Cool cheesecake on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Loosen sides from pan with a knife; cool 1 hour longer. Refrigerate overnight.

·         For the icing and final touches, place chips in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chips; whisk until smooth. Cool slightly, stirring occasionally.

·         Remove sides of spring-form pan. Spread ganache over cheesecake; sprinkle with pecans. Refrigerate until set. If desired, drizzle with additional caramel topping before serving.

Source: www.tasteofhome.com

Happy Thanksgiving, collegiettes!

Irene is currently fulfilling her dreams as a creative writer and journalist at the University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras Campus. This writer finds her inpiration within a well-brewed cup of coffee and introspecting thoughts about life. Her biggest aspiration is to impact others with her envisage of the world and the world that resides in her mind. She enjoys to discover new music and new concepts that ponder her thoughts. She tends to lose herself in Chopin Nocturnes and dance, identifying herself as idealistic with everlasting appetance of what the future holds for her.