Anna Schultz-Girls Posing With Pizza
Anna Schultz-Girls Posing With Pizza
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
Life > Experiences

Do’s and Don’ts of living with roommates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Since the beginning of my college experience, I have shared a living space with my best friend.It was an amazing experience, until COVID 19 came knocking on our doors and screwed it all up. However, since we are back on campus, we had to find a new place to live and this time, we were joined by three other roommates. And so came new experiences and new living systems. So, here are the do’s and don’ts of living with roommates.

Do’S

Communicate

This one should be kinda obvious since communication is the base of every good relationship. Communicate with all your roomies for everything. It goes from coordinating chores to determining who is eating the last chocolate bar. This will prevent arguments from ever taking place in the first place.

have Bonding time

Spending time with your roomies is the best way to get to know each other better. Find something you all have in common and have fun with it. My roomies and I bond with reality shows and trash TV. Every night, we watch at least an episode  together.

design a routine

A routine is important for the day to go smoothly. See how you all live and work around it to find the correct time to do stuff. You don’t want to occupy the bathroom when you know your roommate needs it to get ready for work. So, communicate and create a routine that works for everyone. 

Create a group chat

This point goes well with the first one. The best way to keep communicating is by having a group chat. It’s also a way to know what’s happening in your place when you’re not there. 

Help each other out

When you share a living space with others for long enough, they will become a family of sorts. They are, after all, the closest people  you have if you need something. It can be as little as opening a jar or as big as helping them when they are sick… or falling down the stairs like I did. Remember that they are your support system now, just like you are theirs. 

Don’ts

Take their stuff without a warning

There is nothing worse than looking forward to eating something only to open the fridge and not being able to find it. If you need food or anything else, just ask. The worst that could happen is for them to tell you no. 

Overstep boundaries 

If you notice that something makes your roommate uncomfortable, don’t do it. Nobody likes to feel like that in their own living space. So, communicate with them so that you don’t overstep any boundaries. Likewise, communicate your own boundaries respectfully and be vocal when they are breached. 

Open the door without knocking 

Make sure to knock before opening the doors to the bathroom or their rooms. You never know when you’re going to open the door and find someone naked or in a compromising situation. It can end up being funny, but maybe try putting yourself in their situation. It might not be that hilarious now, right? 

Go to bed mad with them

Don’t let fights continue for a longer period than they need to. A hostile environment is not a good place to live in. So, talk out your problems and fix them. 

Forget to do your chores

Remember that all of you are sharing a space. It’s not fair for a single person to clean alone when everyone uses everything. So, divide everything evenly and do your part. 

Living with others can be a polarizing experience. While, for some, it can be incredibly fun,  it might not be as pleasant for others. But if you put your part in creating a healthy coexistence, it can be the best time of your life. Shout out to my amazing roommates: Angélica, Mariangelie, Beatriz and María. They’re the best roommates I could have asked for.

Alana is currently in her fifth year, studying Comparative Literature in the UPR Río Piedras Campus. She loves books, superheroes and mythology. Will sing any song that she knows (even if she can't sing to save her life) and is always tired. She dreams with someday writing a book.