Bookish Wednesday: the princess saves herself in this one

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

The first thing you should know is that I’m not big on poetry. While I do see the beauty in it, it doesn’t hold my attention for long. So two years ago, when I was looking for more books to buy, I found the princess saves herself in this one and I almost didn’t buy it. “It’s a poetry book, I’m not going to read it,” I thought. But for some reason, I couldn’t stop thinking about it, and I ended up buying it anyway (maybe it was my obsession and uncontrollable necessity to buy books). The twist?  I don’t regret it at all.

Amanda Lovelace, the author of this incredible book, wrote and published it in 2016 as the first part of a three books series: Women Are Some Kind of Magic. This book is divided in four different parts: the princess, the damsel, the queen, and you. Each part presents the reader with a tale filled with love, heartbreak, death, grief, insecurities, abuse, but most of all healing. Through her poems, Lovelace empowers women and shows how strong and capable they are. We get to see how a woman goes through all of that pain and comes out victorious. It reminds the reader that they can overcome anything and that they don’t need a man to do it.

The way that the poems are written is simple, yet beautiful. The author plays with the words and the fairytale analogy, engrossing the reader between its lines. Everytime I read it, I get goosebumps over some of the pieces, since Lovelace’s way of writing them makes them really easy to connect with.

the princess saves herself in this one came to my life when I needed it the most. I was going through a rough path and this book was one of the things that made me feel like everything was going to be fine and that I could get through it. It made me cry, made me laugh and with every page I turned, I felt better. This book reminded me that I was not alone, even when I felt that way. That is why I keep trying to make all of my friends (and now you) read it.

Now go get your happy ending and always remember that you’re some kind of magic! If you do read it, let me know what you thought!  

Image credits: 1, 2, 3

Alana is currently in her fifth year, studying Comparative Literature in the UPR Río Piedras Campus. She loves books, superheroes and mythology. Will sing any song that she knows (even if she can't sing to save her life) and is always tired. She dreams with someday writing a book.