Life > Academics

Best Ways to Maintain Your Mental Health During Midterms Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

It’s that time of year again folks. Autumn has rolled in and each day we’re
closer to the semester’s midpoint. But, before we can dress up and celebrate a semester half
done, we have midterms to deal with first. Whether your professor gave a horrendously difficult
exam or an annoying group project, several weeks’ worth of lessons and readings have finally
caught up with us. If you’re the responsible type that’s been itching to show your erudite,
congrats! You probably never considered dropping out to pursue exotic dancing while waking up
for a 7 am class. However, this article is for my fellow accidentally irresponsible students (you
know who you are). Since I know you need all the help you can get, here’s a couple tried and true tips to aid you during this trying time.

1. Quit procrastinating.

I know, I know. This may sound obvious, and it’s certainly easier said than done. However, it is a
vital step towards keeping your peace of mind. Spacing out your work will help you stay
ahead of deadlines and will keep your work from piling up. So, despite this seemingly
generic advice, I recommend actually checking your Moodle account regularly (only if you’re a UPR student; if not, check your university’s educational e-platform). If not for your grades, then to avoid being overwhelmed later.

2. Do your work ahead of time.

Give yourself enough time to become acquainted with the material. The earlier you
start, the better, but a week and a half is good if you’re the forgetful type. If you’re
worried about a test, it gives you plenty of time to ask your professors to explain anything
that you don’t understand. Or if you have a project due, it gives you enough time to
tweak your work to perfection little by little. No matter the class, getting ahead is a sure
way to success.

3. Create a reward system.

Get a cup of coffee after finishing those pesky math problems, eat a gummy
bear after every paragraph you get through from your assigned reading, or make
yourself finish your essay before starting the next episode of your favorite show. Do
anything that will get you excited to finish. Work is easier to complete when you know
you’ll be rewarded for your efforts later. The instant gratification will motivate you to
continue and will add a touch of excitement to such tedious work. Just do it and see how
quickly you can finish a reading when you can enjoy a sweet treat after every page. Even the
most boring texts will become page-turners.

4. Give yourself some downtime.

Take out a day from the week just for you. Use this time to try a new hobby,
go out with your friends, or even just sleep all day. Do whatever helps you destress.
Don’t even think about looking at your notes. Consider this a much-needed mini
vacation. You can thank me later.

5. Buy yourself a treat.

Do this when everything’s finally over and done with. Once the lame
educational part of October finishes up, it’s finally time to dress up and have fun. Before
this, I recommend celebrating a job finished. No matter the grade, get yourself a
celebratory treat. Whether you want to spoil yourself for getting past your suffering or if
you prefer something smaller, whatever you pick will help you feel rewarded and will
motivate you to do even better the next time. This will be the perfect boost to help you
relax and enjoy yourself after such stressful times.

The key to midterms is organization and motivation. School isn’t easy, but we
can lessen our own load with some simple strategizing. If we try to get ahead of the problem, it’s
less likely that you’ll stress out and overwhelm yourself. Hopefully these tips help you survive this
Hell Month.

Hey there! I’m Alexandra, your local mythology nerd. Currently double majoring in English Lit and Accounting in the UPR.