The 8 Activities To Do For Self-Care: Quarantine Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Due to the coronavirus outbreak, we have all been ordered to practice social distancing by self-quarantining at our homes. This means that we have to stay  inside more than usual. For us college students, we have switched from in-person classes to virtual classes through Zoom and other online platforms. 

Our daily routines have completely changed and for some people, it has been difficult to get back on track and maintain our usual schedule. Being locked up inside has been very stressful for a lot of people, because it is still unknown  when everything will return back to ‘’normal’’. However, I believe this is perfect for dedicating more time to ourselves both emotionally and physically and getting ourselves out of the slump. Here are some self-care activities you can do while staying at home.

Meditate

This is a great way to start your day because you create a clear mindset. I have been meditating for a few months and it has helped me calm down my thoughts and my anxiety. It may seem hard at first, but with time and consistency, you can establish a routine. It only takes about 5-10 minutes a day at first and it’ll definitely help you get in a better mood. Some great apps I recommend for meditating are Headspace and Stop, Breath, and Think.

Journal

This is an opportunity for you to find an unused notebook and write down all of your thoughts and feelings that you have been keeping inside. By doing this, you can organize all your thoughts and get to know yourself better. Another way you can journal is just by writing down what you are grateful for so you can shift into a positive mindset, especially now during this chaotic time.

Take A Bath

Taking a bath helps us relax and unwind after a stressful day. Remember to pamper yourself by throwing in a bath bomb, lighting a candle, putting on body scrubs, and turning on some relaxing music.

Skincare

Although you are not going outside and the only people that see you are the ones you’re quarantined with, don’t forget to dedicate some  time to take care of your skin. Put on a mask to give it some love.

Bake

If you’re someone that watches a lot of baking shows, it’s time to put your skills to the test. Indulge yourself in a treat by recreating a recipe from Tasty, or maybe look up free online cooking classes.

Exercise

Since we can’t go to the gym like we used to, we might find ourselves in a slump or unmotivated to continue working out. However, there are many ways to continue your routines during quarantine. While at home, you can look for YouTube videos and apps to find a new routine you can do without using machines. Another way to work out indoors is by practicing yoga or pilates.

Learn something new

If you’ve been meaning to learn a new skill or practice a hobby, this is your chance to do so. A website that is great for learning something new is Skillshare. You may have already heard of this site from YouTubers and influencers that get sponsored by them in videos and give their audience a special discount. From my experience, it is actually very good and completely worth it. I took some classes on creativity, and it helped me to become more inspired. Although there is a monthly fee for some classes, there is a free version that has a good variety of classes.

FaceTime or have a Zoom party with friends

Even though we can’t hang out with our friends, it doesn’t mean we can’t keep in touch with them. Call them through FaceTime or Zoom to catch up during this weird time so you can distract yourselves for a moment from the hectic state of the outside world.

We are currently going through difficult circumstances that we have not faced before, which can be very scary. This is why it’s so important to take care of your mind, body, and emotions, and to remind ourselves that everything will be okay. Remember to stay calm, be safe, protect your loved ones, and wash your hands!

A fourth year Foreign Language student who aspires to be a Social Media Manager. Her passions include playing music, singing, painting, and journaling.