This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

We all can agree that breaking up is hard to do. It hurts, it can be messy, you fear that being alone won’t be as good as being with someone else, or you fear that being alone will be worse than actually being in a relationship. But sometimes, breaking up is exactly what needs to be done in order to keep moving forward and be able to find some real happiness.

Breaking up is only the first step, in many cases, to achieve the goal of being the person you want to be. So, to help you find some light at the end of the tunnel, we’ve come up come with a few reasons of why breaking up is just so good. 

1. The Single Life – while being in a relationship and having some company might feel super nice, sometimes a lot of your time is consumed by your significant other, leaving little time to spend for yourself. Being single means you get to have more “me time”. It’s the chance to re-learn how to be comfortable by yourself, to embrace a little alone time, and well, enjoy the other single fish that are in the sea. 

2. Emotionally stronger – though a little cliché, it’s true when people say “what doesn’t kill you only makes you stronger”. We all know that a break up sometimes makes you feel like wanting to crawl into a hole a never come out, but, all things pass and so does the sadness. It won’t be long until you’re feeling ready, and strong enough, to come back into the world and enjoy life. Any type of emotional duress can only help us and teach us how to deal with different situations.

3. TLC: Me Edition – when we have someone be there all the time, we tend to rely on them to give us the care and affection we need. But the only thing better than receiving that care from someone else is to be able to get it from ourselves. Caring can be a meal for yourself, maybe the movies or just a little spa night in the comfort of your home. It’s so important to love yourself before anyone else, TLC provided you to you, can make you feel amazing 24/7.

4. Friends 4 Ever – there are cases where we lose track of our friends because we’re spending so much time with our partner. So, when the break up comes around, it’s the time to make amends and let them be there for you. A real friend will be there for you no matter what and they’ll be making you laugh in no time. 

5. Change of Focus – In a relationship, you have to balance everything out: work, studies, keeping the space around you clean, and still make time for your partner. At times, that can be really stressful, and overwhelming even. Breaking up will not only give you more time for yourself and other things, but it will also have you focus and prioritize everything that needs to get done.

6. The You Inside of You – there are situations where you might find that you’ve lost yourself in someone else. A break up also means a detachment from that person that perhaps took up a lot of who you were. It could happen without even noticing, and it is no one’s fault, but when you step away from your partner you are also given the chance to rediscover yourself. Find out what you like, don’t like, what you’d like to repeat and what simply doesn’t work for you. You can even re-invent yourself and do whatever makes you happy. 

So sit back, grab yourself a glass of wine – or sparkling water – and enjoy the ride. Remember to keep it positive and see the glass half full instead of half empty. 

Lover of singing, dancing and reading. I like spending my free time binge watching series that have too many seasons, fangirling over female pop icons and watching makeup tutorials. Social media is one of my passions and I aspire to be the best publicity/public relations specialist. Always bold & brave.