5 Odd Ingredients That Help Combat Frizzy Hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Hurricane season is upon us, and with it, tons of frizz. Now, living in a humid climate, one could argue we get frizzy hair throughout the entire year. However, these last few weeks were particularly rainy, making my hair extremely frizzy. I found myself researching ways of dealing with the humidity, and I have a few tips to share with y’all.

1. Coconut Oil

We’ve all heard of coconut oil. You can eat it, it smells nice, you can use it on your skin, and you can use it to cook. Now, it turns out, you can use it to stop frizz. Here’s how: before washing your hair, you rub some warm coconut oil onto it and leave it on for about 30 minutes. Then, wash your hair with cold water. The cold water is important, as it will close your hair follicles and keep the moisture locked in. Then, style your hair as usual.

I tried this, and I saw some results. Just make sure not to shampoo more than twice or three times. Otherwise, the soap molecules will remove all traces of the oil and defeat the whole purpose of this endeavour.

P.S. If you do not have coconut oil, and I know it can be expensive, don’t sweat it. Extra virgin olive oils works as well. It may not smell as nice, but at least your hair won’t be frizzy.

**Warning** Coconut oil actually has the opposite effect on certain types of hair, as it can keep water from hydrating the strands.

2. Coconut Milk

I hear you. First coconut oil and now coconut milk. But hey, it works. It shouldn’t have surprised me because I actually have a few hair products that have coconut milk listed as an ingredient. It would make sense to go straight to the source. For this, you would need to heat some coconut milk and apply onto hair. Cover with a shower cap and leave overnight. Then rinse with cold water. It is recommended to be done twice a week for better results as this not only moisturizes but also adds protein to your hair. You can also apply some heat in order for your hair follicles to really absorb all of the moisture.

3. Beer

Now, let me just say that I don’t like drinking beer, so it gives me pleasure to have finally found a use for it. According to this article, beer has tons of benefits for your hair, not the least of which is that it contains important vitamins and amino acids that strengthen your hair. It also eliminates dandruff, makes hair shinier, and promotes hair growth.

Simply coat your hair with beer, leave it on for a couple of minutes, and then rinse it out with cold water. The only trouble with this method is that the smell of alcohol may stay, which is why I recommend mixing the beer in with some shampoo and conditioner. Apply to hair and leave it on for 3-5 minutes before rinsing with cold water.

4. Yogurt (and Honey)

By now you must have figured out that liquids with high viscosity are usually a good way to go for this. However, I hadn’t considered honey because it seemed too sticky and messy. But coupled with yogurt, it does the trick. According to this article, yogurt helps nourish hair, which can prevent hair fall, and gets rid of dandruff caused by fungus [yogurt is a natural anti-fungal]. This duo works together to add moisture and nourishment to your hair. For this, mix in 2-3 tablespoons of yogurt and 1 tablespoon of honey, apply on hair, and leave on for about 30 minutes. Leaves hair smooth and shiny.

5. Aloe Vera

Not just for sunburns, my friends. Not to be left behind, aloe vera also works as a deep moisturizer. Simply peel the aloe vera to get its gel and mix it in with some vegetable oil until it forms a sort of paste. Then just apply to your hair, leave it on for 20-30 minutes, and rinse with cold water.

This is only a small list of all of the ingredients you have at home that can remedy a frizzy hair. We’re looking for moisture, so anything that has a similar consistency to hair cream and conditioner will go a long way to battle this accursed humidity. Don’t be afraid to mix and experiment, but keep away from harsh chemicals! That would be counterproductive. Stay moisturized, my friends.

BA in English Literature at the University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras Campus. Avid reader of fiction: fantasy, paranormal, contemporary, and certain classics.  Can be found browsing Pinterest, spontaneously singing Disney songs, or finding new ways to procrastinate. Speaks fluent sass and movie quotes.