jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

4 Tren Urbano Struggles We’ve All Experienced

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

In the beginning, the Tren Urbano was a technological advance that surpassed our expectations for public transportation on the island. Everyone marveled at the convenience and effectiveness of a train system that connected some of the most frequented spots in the metro area. Fast forward to a few years later, and the system is in shambles. Leaky roofs, broken elevators, and malfunctioning card slots are a few of the nuisances us commuters have to deal with every day. We’re sure you’ll identify with these four struggles, and if you don’t, thank your lucky stars.

1. All the train card machines have some sort of trouble.

It’s early in the morning. The station is alive with workers and students trying to get to their destination on time. You remember you have to recharge the train card. The lines are quite long, but you’ve come to expect this sort of thing. The clock ticks. The line moves. Finally! As you come closer to the machine, a sign indicates the machine does not accept your only payment method. You glance towards the other ones, but guess what? Two are broken and the other ones are only taking Romanian currency or a human sacrifice as their payment method. You proceed to cry.

2. The train leaves right as you step onto the platform.

Just a few more steps! Almost there! Phew. You made it onto the platform, but the unmistakable beep beep beep that announces the closing of the doors strangles your hopes of making it on time. Goodbye, train.

3. The weird lady chooses to sit next to you.

You label yourself as a patient and well-mannered person, but you’re convinced the lady next to you is deliberately challenging your virtues. She asks for the time, and you politely (and foolishly) take off your headphones to answer. Oh, now you’ve done it. She commences a rant about her seven sinful children, the alien that’s been following her around, and the weird rash on her back. You smile and nod, silently pleading the conductor to go a little faster.

4. You miss your train stop.

After a long day at the university, all you want is a nice and quiet ride home. The Tren Urbano is suspiciously empty, but you cherish it nonetheless. The seat next to the window looks inviting (and it’s always the best) so you decide upon it and rest your head on the cool glass. It feels nice against your skin. A few minutes later you wake up only to realize you’ve missed your train stop. Oh, dear…

Despite the terrible grievances, the Tren Urbano is a lifesaver for those of us that desperately depend on it. It poses as an alternative to endless traffic jams and gives us the advantage of extra (and much needed) parking space. After you’re done cursing the train, remember to give it some love and appreciation. After all, it does carry your little tush all over the place.

Hey, there! My name's Yamilet but you can call me Yami (way cuter, right?). I'm a psychology major student at the University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras campus, who also happens to enjoy writing in her spare time. I have a pug named Sushi, and together we come up with stories to share with the world!