Wellness

3 Ways to Stay Motivated During Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Finals week, probably the most stressful yet strangely anticipated time of the year. We only have a few weeks to save our classes or cling on to the grades we already have. We put so much pressure on ourselves, and let’s be honest, around this time of year we barely have any motivation left. We still anticipate this time because it’s the end of the semester and it’s such a relief to know that winter break is right around the corner. This year is a very special occasion when it comes to these feelings because, let’s face it, 2020 has been a very hard year where hitting rock bottom was an easy achievement for anyone. With everything going on in the world around us, it’s important to stay focused but also know when to take breaks.

Here are a few tips to help you stay motivated during finals!

Get organized!

If you don’t organize yourself first, you will stress out, and being stressed is the last thing you want if you need motivation. Take things one day at a time. Make sure to know all your due dates and test dates. Write everything down! Lists are very helpful, so get into the habit of making a list of all the things you have to do in order.

Set daily goals!

Make a schedule for the things you have to accomplish each day, and don’t just include your academic agenda, but also your daily chores. By doing this, you can maximize your time and know how to divide your responsibilities. Also, make sure to not overload yourself with work, which will tire you both physically and mentally.

Take breaks!

Humans are not robots, so we need to take breaks from studying. One thing you can do so you don’t get carried away with breaks is setting alarms for the amount of time you spend studying and the amount you spend relaxing. Another good option is to set a reward system. For example, once you finish a lecture, you can watch an episode of your favorite show.

It might be hard to stay motivated, especially in the difficult times we’re living in, but we have to take a deep breath and keep persevering. The holidays are just around the corner so let’s wrap up this semester. Happy holidays, and may we all succeed on our finals! 

Alina Vargas Soto is an undergraduate student at the University of Puerto Rico Rio Piedras Campus. She's studying Communications with a major in Journalism. Whenever she isn't studying or working, she loves to watch movies, read and write poetry, and hang-out with her friends and family. She is very passionate about music, art, history, and literature, but also loves adventure and connecting with nature. Alina will drink tea and write as well as drink coffee and go on a hike.