This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

One of the most complex parts of leaving home for college is dealing with roommates. On one hand, you have the option to move in with friends, although this may often affect the friendship since living together is a completely different story. On the other hand, you might end up living with strangers, which is an unsettling experience, to say the least. In any of these cases, there are certain tips or hacks that you should keep in mind in order to make life with your roommates easier.

1. Communicate

Whether it’s about your own tiny quirks or something that genuinely bothers you about your roommate, always communicate. Being open about some of your habits is always important in order for your roommates to understand you better. It is also important for you to mention anything that you might find annoying or bothersome before it becomes a tense situation.

2. Organization

Being organized while in college might not always be the easiest task. However, this is really important in order to create a wholesome environment in your dorm. Having to face a stranger’s mess in what you’re trying to call home is never a good experience– be considerate. I mean, it’s not that we must all be neat freaks, but try to maintain organization mainly within the spaces you’ll be sharing. Overall, this benefits both sides.  

3. Bonding

Having a healthy relationship with your roomies is an excellent experience, but don’t try to force it! Relationships develop over time. Let things sink in and find out about things you have in common. Eventually, a good roommate can become a lifelong friend.

We hope you put these tips to good use!

Currently studying Linguistics, Human Communication and Human Rights at the University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras Campus. Class of 2021. Aspiring lawyer.