The 2014 Her Campus UPR Transition: A Letter to My Team

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

I want to say thank you to every single person that contributed in any way, small or big, to what Her Campus UPR has become, especially to my writing and editorial team. After almost one year of being the founder of Her Campus UPR, I can honestly say this is the prime moment for our chapter! 

Alejandra and Gabrielle: Congratulations on being appointed to the role of Her Campus U-Puerto Rico Campus Correspondents! You will have much to learn and absorb during the upcoming months. Know that this journey you are about to embark on will not be easy, but it will sure be gratifying. The amazing part of becoming the CCs of our chapter is that you will be working with the best team ever.

Be prepared to face the most challenging yet rewarding moment of your Her Campus career. I highly recommend you keep up the energy and motivation, because all these girls for they have a lot to offer. We regarded our site traffic week after week, our engagement in social media and people’s enthusiasm with the page. Please don’t let that fade! You guys need to be on your toes ALL the time — and I mean that both literally and metaphorically. Keep your eyes and ears open, listen to what your team members have to say and do your work, always! Something that took me a while to learn is that you have to know how to delegate — it’s what successful leaders do. Don’t be afraid to rock the boat: you always need to have your thinking cap on; if something is not going right, say it out loud. 

If I were you, I would have more team meetings outside campus! Go for walks and out for lunches or dinners. The HCUPR team is much more than just staff members — they make exceptional friends, too!

If I were you, I would partner up with other student organizations. You will have the opportunity to meet amazing people who are outside of your usual social circle. Coming together for activities and fundraisers will not only expand the possibilities for the chapter, but for your team members as well. It’s always good to step out of your comfort zone. Life is all about defying limits and expectations.

If I were you I would do what you do best; and you know what that might be. Trust your intuition, and follow your heart above everything else.

Always remember that there is more to do as HC UPR Presidents than you will ever have time to do. If you haven’t already, you’ll soon discover that time is one of your most important assets. One of my mentors once reminded me that while everything is important, not everything is of equal importance. Thus, it is essential that you prioritize your work. 

While it saddens me to leave Her Campus UPR, I know that I have left a legacy; not only in the University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras, but in Puerto Rico as a whole. You have inherited a solid project that has many opportunities to grow even more. You guys both have the power to take HCUPR to the next level! I am looking forward to seeing how HCUPR continues to blossom.

Much HC Love,
Suzzette Martínez

Suzzette Martínez has been blessed to have both the talent and the will power! She has worked countless hours to land coveted internships during her academic years at the University of Puerto Rico. She has had the honor of working alongside true professionals in the communication industry. Suzzette has also made significant contributions to various publications, including newsletters in the federal government and the University newspaper. Her optimism, drive and go-getter mentality has led her from many successful endeavors to becoming the founder of the first HC chapter in Puerto Rico. You can read some of her articles, or learn more about her here!

Suzzette Martinez Malavet is a senior at the University of Puerto Rico-Rio Piedras studying Information and Journalism. She loves photography, shoes, fashion, social media, traveling and exercising outdoors. She has interned at the Capitol of Puerto Rico, Diálogo Digital, Wapa TV, Telemundo Network, U.S. Census Bureau's Center for New Media and Promotions and the Corporate Communication/Sales & Marketing Department of the U.S. Mint in DC, but her proudest accomplishment was in Spring 2013 when she founded the very first HC Chapter in Puerto Rico, Her Campus UPR. Suzzette is currently the Chapter Advisor of Her Campus American University, Marymount, William & Mary, and GW. She is also a returning intern this semester at the U.S. Census Bureau's Center for New Media and Promotions. This 22-year-old woman is the most career-driven individual you will ever meet. If you want to know a little more about her...if you want to know what makes her tick and what inspires her the most...Unlock the mystery by reading some of her awesome articles!
Alejandra Camille Ortiz is a twenty-year-old young woman double-majoring in Advertising and Marketing at the University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras Campus. She is a contributing writer for HerCampus.com.Alejandra is a social media buff that likes to keep herself up-to-date with all the new stuff on the internet. She doesn't have many worries aside from the feeling that life flying by far too fast for her taste. Her friends say she has constant nerd tendencies, is a multitasker from birth and is the go-to girl for problems that need solving.You can contact her by writing an email to alejandraortiz@hercampus.com.HCXO!