HCUPR Founder Suzzette M. Martínez Malavet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Name: Suzzette M. Martínez Malavet

Age: 21

Major: Information and Journalism

Graduation: December 2013

“There is no such thing as a great talent without great will power,”- Honore De Balzac

Suzzette Martínez has been blessed to have both the talent and the will power! She has worked countless hours to land coveted internships during her academic years at the University of Puerto Rico. She has had the honor of working alongside true professionals in the communication industry. Suzzette has also made significant contributions to various publications, including newsletters in the federal government and the University newspaper. Her optimism, drive and go-getter mentality has led her from many successful endeavors to becoming the founder of the first HC chapter in Puerto Rico. Her achievements definitely serve as an inspiration to all!

1. HCUPR: How would you describe your academic experience at the University of Puerto Rico? 

Suzzette: For the most part, it has been pretty amazing. I have taken classes with the best and most engaging professors at the School of Communication. Some have made meaningful and profound contributions to my life…

2. HCUPR: How did you know about Her Campus?

Suzzette: It was back in DC, I was doing an internship at the Census Bureau, and one of my very dear friends started talking to me about Her Campus. She explained how she became the co-founder of the HC Le Moyne chapter, and she suggested that this opportunity would enhance my knowledge. Her success stories while managing the HC Le Moyne chapter inspired me to start the HC UPR chapter as soon as I came back to Puerto Rico. I thoroughly researched and read HerCampus.com just so that I could be prepared for the conquest. After applying, I was evaluated and accepted to become the founder, editor-in-chief and president of the HC UPR chapter. I give many thanks to Omairys Rodríguez, former correspondent of Her Campus Le Moyne and Branch Manager of Her Campus UPR! I have lived one of the most challenging yet rewarding experiences in my entire career.

3. HCUPR: You have had myriad experience in the journalism field, any key takeways from those opportunities?

Suzzette: I believe that every experience has played a vital role in shaping my career goals. I worked unceasingly to land the internships that powered my résumé, gave me the exposure that I needed for my career and allowed me to meet some amazing people. Takeaways? Networking, which is so-so important and follow-up! This is extremely important and cannot be emphasized enought. Those people are seeds of opportunities that can sprout, only and only if, you nourish those relationships. I have been fortunate to have my former internship supervisor from Telemundo Network, Lori Montenegro, as my mentor. She has taught me invaluable things and I will forever be grateful for that.  

4. HCUPR: Whom do you identify as your inspiration?

Suzzette: I wouldn’t have been able to do any of this without my parents. Even though internships and projects can seem like a completely individual effort, my mom and dad have given me incredible strength and support. They have been there always, no exceptions! So I celebrate their life because, without María Malavet and Fernando Martínez, I would be completely lost. 

5. HCUPR: How have these experiences changed you? What are your plans for the future?

Suzzette: I used to obsess about graduating in four years. Understandably, with all the projects I had going on, I was set back one semester. Nevertheless, I don’t regret any of it. Time well spent isn’t time wasted, and I believe that every experience, good and bad, has shaped me into the person I am today and the person that I want to be. As for the future, I am currently working on grad school applications and law school applications – we’ll see where it goes from there.

Ana Maria Baez is a senior at the University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras and is Her Campus UPR's Campus Correspondent. Pursuing a major in Political Science, she enjoys reading, writing, Sunday brunch, traveling overseas, springtime and playing with her miniature schnauzer. She has interned on Capitol Hill for Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid in the Hispanic Press Office, and since joining the Her Campus UPR team in May 2013, she has been working hard towards promoting the first-ever chapter established in Puerto Rico.