This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Stress is the worst. Feeling overwhelmed with tasks and powerless to do them is just not cool. And so, it’s actually totally normal and natural for our minds to respond in a hectic way when things get out of hand. However, it is of the utmost importance that we try as hard as we can so that the feeling of hopelessness doesn’t control us. Luckily, there are many things you can do during times of stress that can soothe you down for a while and give you a sense of clarity to get stuff done. 

1. Take a Walk 

Your negative energy and thoughts can concentrate in one area, so if you’re feeling particularly overwhelmed with stress at your desk or workspace, it’s a great idea to get up and go for a little stroll. A change in scenery can help put some distance between your mind and that area where you have been concentrating stress. So, instead of taking a break by opening up a social media platform at your desk, leave the phone there and go away. 

1. Have a Relaxing Bubble Bath

Oh my god, yes! Instead of a quick and meaningless shower, take a bit of your time to fill your bathtub, squeeze a bottle of body soap in the water, and sit there for a while. Be mindful of your body as you bathe, play with the bubbles and water, or simply relax. Bonus: play your favorite tune, burn a scented candle, or watch an episode of your current favorite show while you’re at it. 

1. Exercise 

When you move, your mind grooves. Physical activity stimulates the release of dopamine and serotonin, which boosts your mood and awards you with an overall sense of wellbeing. You don’t have to engage in a hardcore two-hour exercise session, a twenty-minute jog or jumping rope. Finding a 10-minute exercise routine on YouTube, or even going on the walk we talked about can really help you destress while simultaneously keeping you active. 

1. Try Breathing Exercises

Taking even three to five minutes to do mindful breathing exercises can achieve miracles for your mood. And what’s best, there are apps such as Breathe, Calm, or Headspace, that can guide you through those intakes of breath. And while you’re at it, you can search for some guided stress relief meditation on YouTube to have a full hearing, breathing and affirmative cool down. 

1. Sit Amidst Nature

Similar to taking a walk, if you have a nearby place that is surrounded by greenery, that’s the space where you want to go in times of stress. Green actually has a calming effect in the brain, so being mindful of the chirping of birds, and the brushes of the wind as you sit on the grass can revive you. It can also connect you to the natural world and take your mind off of things. 

1. Organize 

Sometimes organizing can be tedious, but I don’t mean a full house rearrangement. Start small by organizing your desk, your piled up clothes and your books—literally anything that has been misplaced for a while. Having a clear space can, therefore, make you have an undisturbed mind; and organizing, regardless of the task, can give you a sense of accomplishment, which can really help when you feel like you haven’t done much.  

1. Write it Down 

Having all those things you have to do stuck and circling in your mind can increase your stress. A great way to simplify and narrow down those pending assignments is to write it all down. Listing what is pending on a sheet of paper can give you more clarity and helps avoid the whirlwind of thoughts consistently showing up when you least want them to. Writing it down can sort of take them out of your brain. Also, it feels so great to manually scratch out a task once you’re done with it. 

1. Watch Something Funny

Stopping what you’re doing to laugh for a little while is a great option. Whether you look for video parts of a comedy show, tune in to a meme or funny clip app, or watch an episode of a sitcom, laughing your stress away is the best. But don’t get carried away and binge watch videos for hours! Instead, be wary of the time you’re taking to destress, always. 

1. Light Up a Candle

Being mindful is key for  soothing you down. Being weary of your senses can do wonders to your feelings, and one of these is your smell. Lighting up a relaxing scented candle, diffusing essential oils, or burning an incense can calm you down and make you feel well as you keep up with your work. 

1. Talk It Out 

Remember, you are not alone. When in doubt, talk it out. Talk about how you’re feeling with someone that cares. Voicing out your thoughts can help you release them from your mind; and, what’s best, you’ll have someone there to listen, to empathize with you, and help you get over whatever stressful situation you’re going through. 

Stress never lasts forever, but it’s never cool to experience it. Remember that you are important and your wellbeing is essential to do anything. Take some minutes to detox and destress. In order for it to truly work, you need to come to terms with the fact that it won’t be a waste of time; rather, it’s a moment you take to recognize your feelings and bring love and care to yourself. 

Claudia S. Colon Rosa is the Chapter Leader at the Her Campus at UPR chapter. In addition to overseeing all chapter affairs, she manages the magazine’s editorial and contributes to it as a fellow writer, mainly crafting articles under wellness, life, and entertainment. Beyond Her Campus, Claudia has worked as assistant editor for the English department’s academic journal, Sargasso, where she managed the journal’s printing press and distribution. She has also written for Rebeldia magazine and was part of the Her Campus National Writer program where she published an array of articles. She is currently a senior at the University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras Campus, majoring in English Literature and pre-medical studies. When she’s not writing an essay or overwhelmed with chemistry formulas, Claudia loves to watch anime and exercise to dance parties on YouTube. She gets the best of both worlds and she wouldn’t want to have it any other way.