This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Our skin is the most visible part of our body, and it’s frequently exposed to the consequences of everyday activities. Regardless of your surroundings, your skin is always prone to damage, especially your face. Sometimes, it’s not just the environment’s fault. Many people’s skin responds to stress and anxiety in the form of weals or acne, but there are also people whose skin naturally works this way, and that’s okay. Either way, it’s important to take care of our bodies. Here is a list of 10 habits to keep your skin healthy and fresh.

Drink plenty of water

You’ve probably heard multiple times that the adult human body is made up of 60% water. The eyes, mouth, circulatory and respiratory system, and other internal processes need water to function well. Water deficiency can be reflected in our skin through dryness, roughness, rigidness, and much more.

Reduce saturated trans fat and sugars

I know you’re dying for that burger n’ fries, or if you’re sweet-toothed like me, you’re craving cookie dough ice cream. What I’m about to tell you isn’t easy to swallow: get away from them! Most of the junk food we consume is processed and our bodies will only retain unhealthy nutrients, which we do not need.

Change your bed sheets

It’s recommended to change your bed sheets on a regular basis. Every day, our bodies collect a build up of dirt, sweat, oil, and microorganisms that don’t always completely wash off when we shower, so many of these nasty things end up attached to our bed sheets, ultimately affecting our skin. We might not see them, but they’re acting against our body. Frequently changing your bed sheets also helps if you suffer from medical conditions such as sinusitis asthma.

Detox!

This is my favorite one. When you eat a lot of junk food, your stomach might feel so upset that you don’t even want to eat or drink anything more for the rest of the day. You just want to take a break and shake that raw feeling away. Well, something that can help is drinking tea or water. That way, your body will detoxify all that junk food. And remember, what you ingest is reflected on the outside. You can detoxify with ginger, turmeric, mint, oregano, or any other natural ingredient that helps your body feel fresh after getting rid of agents you don’t need. This will brighten up your skin and help keep it healthier.

Feel the workout

An exercise routine is a must. Please, I encourage you to actively try, at the very least, a 30-minute-workout routine on a daily basis. The World Health Organization recommends at least 150 minutes per week. Once you start, I guarantee that you won’t be able to stop. Exercise makes you feel revived, and your skin will appreciate it.

Soaps: one for your body, another for your face

I’ve always ignored the fact that the skin on my face is different from the rest of my body. The exposure your face gets is constantly changing due to your diet, age, climate, and emotional events. Your face needs a unique soap, not the same one you use for the rest of your body. Don’t mix it with other soap bars or lotions, because every part of your body claims a different necessity that can only be addressed with a specific formula for that area. Take the time to find a soap that matches your needs, and your skin will thank you for it.

Sleep

Has anyone else been freaking out without an 8-hour sleep routine? Because I am. I can’t be productive if I haven’t slept well. It doesn’t matter if you’re a morning person or if you prefer to stay awake until midnight; you need to feel rested. When we accumulate lack of sleep, our eyes will reflect this, specifically below them in the form of bags.

Let your face breathe

I know. One of the things you’ve been hating since this quarantine started is how face masks ultimately give rise to pimples. But guess what? Our hair and the excessive use of makeup makes those little suckers appear too! Hairstyles and makeovers are fun and all, but we need to make sure that we’re taking care of our faces. Make sure you don’t wear makeup for long hours or that your hair isn’t all over your face, especially if you’re sweating, because all the products that you use in your hair can be absorbed into your skin, making it suffer.

Don’t go to bed without cleansing your face

I’ve been guilty of this one. What a grave mistake! With this, we can go back to one of the points that we’ve already covered: your bed sheets get so dirty and if they’re not frequently changed, you keep absorbing more dirt into your skin. I know that after a fun night out we just want to fall on our bed and slumber until the morning of the third day, but don’t let this become the norm. Instead, get into the habit of cleansing your face before bed

Visit a dermatologist

This is a great recommendation. It doesn’t matter how much you Google skin health tips or or how much experience you have treating your own skin; your face is unique and it requires professional insight. To get results, you should be evaluated by an expert and receive personal attention for your skin.

A consistent skincare routine is essential to keeping it healthy, and it’s a great way to treat yourself! I hope these points remind you of how important skin care is and, most of all, the great value you give to yourself in those minutes of self-care and love.

Cardi Okurrrr
Giphy

Journalism and Political Science student at Universidad de Puerto Rico, Río Piedras Campus. Currently, practicing photography, president of the National Association of Hispanic Journalists (NAHJ), UPR-RP chapter and journalist for Latitud 801 and Diálogo UPR. Mother Earth's friend. ?