Why You Should Start Investing in a Skincare Regimen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

It is clinically proven that you cannot reverse the effects of aging, without going under the needle. Therefore, the only way to manage wrinkles, crow’s feet, under-eye bags, etc. is by preventing such effects. Your skin mainly craves and is deprived of hydration, moisture, and nutrients.

Currently, skin care is the biggest cosmetic trend, especially in South Korea. From sheet masks to essences, Westerners want-in on the secrets of looking younger, longer.

In South Korea, they are obsessed with their 10-step skin-care regimen. Don’t panic! You should customize your skin care regimen to fit your skin’s unique needs. Some beauty bloggers have as low as 5 steps, while some are known to have 12-13 steps. It is not expected to suddenly splurge on a bunch of high-end skin care products, but you can start small with some of the basic steps. At first, it may seem like a hassle, but your skin deserves your upmost attention.

Not to mention, there are a lot of drug-store products that can do wonders for stressed out college students.

Step One: Oil Cleanser

While makeup wipes are one of the best inventions to-date, the excessive wiping is doing more harm to the skin around your eyes than you think. The skin around your eyes is the thinnest layer of skin on your entire body, and requires the gentlest touch you can muster. Too much pulling, rubbing, scratching, etc. can be detrimental to its elasticity, and the blood vessels underneath. Most common cases of dark under-eye circles are from the broken, or bruised blood vessels.

Fundamentally, oil cleansers help to gently remove more makeup, and oil-based products – without putting the skin around your eyes at risk. Oil cleansers are wonderful for all skin types, especially for those who suffer from drier skin.

Drug-Store Product: Garnier SKINACTIVE: Micellar Cleansing Water ($7)

Step Two: Foam Cleanser

Combined with an oil cleanser, foam cleansers are the second part of the double-cleansing system. Using both oil and foam will ensure that your skin is truly clean. In many cases, we assume our skin is clean after using one product, however that’s not true.

Throughout our daily woes, we are under the mercy of our sweat, the sun, pollution, and the rest of nature – all of which can easily pass through your skin and reside deep within your pores.

Once again, foam cleansers are way more gentle and effective than ordinary makeup wipes.

Drug-Store Product: Neutrogena Fresh Foaming Cleanser ($5)

Step Three: Exfoliator

It is proven that the bacteria which causes pimples are anaerobic, which means that they die when exposed to oxygen. Exfoliating helps to remove dead skin, and cleans the deepest parts of our pores. However, exfoliators should be used every other day, or every two days, because they can irritate your skin when used too often.

Drug-Store Product: St. Ives Apricot Scrub ($4)

Step Four: Toner

Toners are used to remove dirt and oil, but it also helps to soothe and smooth your skin. It is assumed that toners should be for those with oilier skin; however, that’s not the case. Anyone, and everyone should use a toner! Again, you may think your skin is super clean, when it really isn’t, and that’s why blackheads and pimples are always a reoccurring problem.

Drug-Store Product: No7 Beautiful Skin Balancing Toner Normal/Oily ($9)

Step Five: Essence

I personally have no experience with essence products, but they’re products of hydration with anti-aging elements. Essence can help your skin drink up the moisture it lacks. Loss of moisture can be caused by every-day-wear-and-tear, dehydration, stress, lack of sleep, etc. Essence is a product that can help your skin become stronger and more resistant. However, if you have oily or acne-prone skin, essence isn’t for you.

Drug-Store Product: COSRX Advanced Snail 96 Mucin Power Essence ($21)

Step Six: Serum, Boosters, Oils, or Treatment

Serum is a more concentrated product that is very similar to essence. It can help the deepest parts of your skin become moisturized. However, serums and moisturizers don’t replace your traditional face lotions and creams – which will be explained later. Also, many brands and products can have their own variations which target specific skin issues, like wrinkles.

Drug-Store Product: Pixi Hydrating Milky Serum ($24)

Step Seven: Sheet Mask

Within the past year or so, sheet masks have spontaneously exploded in popularity in the Western Hemisphere! I honestly believe that they were the reason why everyone’s so interested in Korean skin products. Sheet masks are basically fabrics soaked in a nutrient, vitamin, and hydration packed serum that are face-shaped. They are fast and easy to use for all types of skin. Also, there is no need to rinse – instead, after you take off the mask, pat in the extra serum left over on your face and in the packet!

Drug-Store Product: I honestly haven’t found cheap, single packs of sheet masks at ULTA, Sephora, Target, etc. Personally, I buy my face masks from a Korean beauty store, called The Face Shop, in Carrolton, TX.

Step Eight: Eye Cream

Like I mentioned before, the skin around your eyes is very fragile, thin, and easily-prone to damage. Eye creams may not be the cure, but it is a beneficial product for preventing any effects of aging. Eye creams can also help reduce the appearance of dark circles, puffiness. It is important that you lightly press, or tap your eye cream from the inner corner of your eye to your temple, and from your eyelid to under your brow bone, and around the orbital bone. If you rub in your eye cream, you are tugging at your skin which increases the risk of having wrinkles earlier in life.

Drug-Store Product: e.l.f. Illuminating Eye Cream ($10)

Step Nine: Face Cream

Almost done, hang in there! Face lotions help to cover up your pores from dirt, makeup, and pollution by creating a barrier on top of your skin. Face lotions, and moisturizers are the key to locking in all your hard work. Many products contain vitamin E and cocoa or shea butter, which help to reinforce moisture into your skin.

Drug-Store Product: No7 Beautiful Skin Day Cream ($15) ; Aveeno Positively Radiant Intensive Night Cream ($15)

Step Ten: SPF

Protecting your skin from the sun’s waves will help your skin in the long run – even if it isn’t sunny outside. The UV rays from the sun don’t just put you at risk for skin cancer, but it also causes your skin to lose its elasticity – making it prone to wrinkles and other skin issues. You should be wearing SPF sunscreen everyday underneath your makeup, and reapplying throughout the day. Luckily, there are many face lotions, and even some makeup products, that have SPF within their formulas.

Drug-Store Product: CoTZ Face Light SPF 40 ($20)

Overall, the concept of a skin regime can be stressful, and may seem like a waste of money, time, and effort. However, your skin endures a lot from your daily lifestyle, nature, and pollution. This means you should put more effort into your skin, especially if you want to slow down the effects of aging, and help your skin look younger, longer.

Again, your regime is supposed to cater to your skin’s needs and wants. it may seem like the 10 steps above is for morning routine, because of SPF, but you can easily modify it so it can be for a night routine! Many people only do this extensive regime at night before they go to bed, and instead of SPF, they’ll use a water, or overnight mask.

If you already have a basic skin care routine, I highly recommend for you to try incorporating face masks. But, if you have not established a routine besides a basic cleanse, I think steps one through four is a good place to start!

I am a senior at the University of North Texas: majoring in biology with a double minor in chemistry and psychology. I am the current treasurer for Her Campus UNT, and I aspire to be a Doctor of Physical Therapy. Outside of my responsibilities, I like to play volleyball and engage in creative activities.
Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.