UNT Professional Women’s Council are Building Networks Through Girl Power

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

UNT’s Professional Women’s Council (PWC) held their third annual networking event Tuesday, September 25 in the Union. The theme for this year was “Building Your Brand,” with a key emphasis on collaboration with other women. 

UNT PWC work to assist their members in landing jobs post graduation. They prepare students with the proper professional essentials during undergrad by connecting them with mentors and internships. 

They focus on details like perfecting the art of an interview to go beyond what is taught in a classroom. This insures their members fully utilize their green light to greatness.

Arlina Sivoravong is the president of UNT’s PWC. The senior integrative studies major says their mission for the event was to collaborate with other UNT women organizations that share similar values with their missions.

“With our prestigious organization, we can only take a few ladies in sadly, but we just know that there are so many other great organizations that can foster into helping with confidence, getting involved on campus and the community, plus networking,” said Sivoravong. 

UNT’s Women of Gold chapter, UNT’s Women in Business, North Texas Eagle Angels and UNT’s Queen in You were a part of the event.  

They had their own presentations and tabling for the women who attended. Their overall mission to empower the ladies came together by the end of the evening.

Young women came dressed business casual and professional eager to gain new insight for their personal goals. The tips and tricks taught came with light refreshments to enjoy while building networks.

For students like Courtney Brown, the networking event helps tremendously in easing worries that can come with transitioning post graduation.The junior merchandising major wanted to gain more knowledge about how to be more professional in her industry.

“I wanted to take those things that I’ll learn and apply it to myself, because I want to own my own business. I don’t want to be cheated once I’m in the industry, especially being a woman,” said Brown. 

The girl power for UNT PWC’s networking event proves that they’re stepping towards a great direction this year. 

They will be collaborating with many other organizations for future events, including UNT’s Presidential Men and UNT’s Dedicated Men.  

Senior at The University of North Texas. I made Black UNT my news beat, and haven't been able to sleep since. Love covering all things melanated Mean Green.
Scotlyn is a UNT alum, Class of 2020. She graduated with a degree in Digital and Print Journalism and a minor in English. During her time with Her Campus, she served as the Chapter President for two years, and also held positions as Chapter Advisor, Writer, and Chapter Expansion Assistant through Her Campus Media. And yes, her name is like the country, but spelled differently.