The Period Diaries: Symptoms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Photo credit: Medical News Today

I have had my period for ten years now and have had many different experiences with it. So, what is normal for women; do all women get moody, like me, when they are on their period?  I started looking up what is normal and what isn’t about the symptoms of the menstrual cycle, and this is what I found out:

Cramps are a result of the contractions of the uterus as it begins to shed its lining, resulting in this physical pain that you experience.  However, I know plenty of women who don’t experience cramps when they are on their period. The level of intensity of cramps can be managed by staying active on your period and controlling what you eat.  

Taking birth control is another method to help control your period.  If you are irregular, like me, then birth control will normalize the frequencies of your periods by regulating your hormones in a controlled way.  By stablizing your hormone levels, birth control can also help stabilize those awful mood swings you may experience. A friend of mine said: “When I am on birth control, I’m not at all moody, but when I am off it, I am.”  

Once again, it’s important to note that not all women experience the same effects when they are on their periods. In fact, some women don’t experience any symptoms at all (I am soooo jealous). 

According to Mayoclinic, our menstrual cycles tend to shorten and become more regular as we age.  The duration of your period simply depends on you as a person, though; some girls can have periods as short as 4 days while for others it can go as long as 9 days. If you are wondering about the duration of your period it is okay if it is long or short, it just depends on you as a person.

Here are a few quick, helpful links in case you want more information!:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/womens-health/in-depth/menstrual-cycle/art-20047186

https://www.womenshealth.gov/a-z-topics/menstruation-and-menstrual-cycle

Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.