An Open Letter About Feminine Products on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

On November 27th, I was leaving class when IT happened. That’s right- I started my period midday in between classes with no tampons or pads handy. I immediately ran to the restroom in hopes of finding a dispenser with pads or tampons. I went to about four different buildings on campus and couldn’t find one dispenser in any of the restrooms. I decided to walk to Chestnut Hall and see if the clinic or pharmacy would have pads. I went to the third floor and came across The Condom Club which offers free condoms (male and female), lube, and a host of other things you may need for safe sex practices. They didn’t have any pads, of course, so I was directed to the clinic on the second floor; no luck there either. I finally end up at the pharmacy on the first floor where I found pads and tampon for sale at outrageous prices around $6 for a 2 pack and $8.50 for a 6 pack. I could purchase a 30 pack of pads at Walmart for about $8, so these prices were insane. I was so disappointed that there was a space on campus for free condoms, but I couldn’t find complimentary feminine products anywhere. Why aren’t there dispensers in the case of an emergency? Why aren’t pads available in offices or restrooms complimentary? Luckily, I ran into a friend on campus who had a pad on her that she was willing to spare. Now, I know you’re probably thinking ‘why wasn’t I prepared’? Well, I thought I had extra pads in my bag, but not that day. Regardless, accidents happen in life; there are too many women on this campus for there to be such limited access to feminine products. I am sure that other women have been in the same predicament that I was on that day. I spent well over half an hour looking for feminine products on campus. These products are a necessity for women and should be considered just as important as condoms on this campus.

I am proposing that the university introduce at the least pad and tampon dispensers in all women’s restrooms on campus. Free tampons and pads in women’s restrooms would be ideal, but I understand that these products do come at a cost. I’m sure that there is a way that funds can be allocated to initiate this in restrooms across campus. I think that all women on campus could benefit from this service being provided.

I am a Junior studying Fashion Merchandising at UNT. I enjoy binge watching Netflix and Hulu. I look forward to covering current trends and new designer collections.
Scotlyn is a UNT alum, Class of 2020. She graduated with a degree in Digital and Print Journalism and a minor in English. During her time with Her Campus, she served as the Chapter President for two years, and also held positions as Chapter Advisor, Writer, and Chapter Expansion Assistant through Her Campus Media. And yes, her name is like the country, but spelled differently.