This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Wake up and smell the roses, both figuratively and literally.

As college students, we’ve all had moments where we’ve laid across our twin-sized beds and a blanket seemed to suddenly fall across our bodies. Only, it’s not a fuzzy and comfortable one like you’d normally snuggle under, but one that weighs heavy and wraps so tight that you can barely break free from its confining embrace.

As college students, we’ve all had moments where life gets too tough. Experiencing stress can manifest in the form of countless things; Whether it’s our energy being depleted after a long exam, or the loneliness we feel from having less social interaction than we may have anticipated. Harboring these exhausting feelings isn’t unheard of, in fact, it happens to the best of us. Though, with that being said, it is important that we find different avenues on how to make ourselves feel better.

One way that we can combat and keep our mental heath in check is by stepping into nature.

Step One: Try Meditation

There are different ways to unwind when being outside, and one of which is through meditation. Meditation is a practice that we should all try because it aids with easing our nerves. Whether we’re tired, angry, or sad, taking a moment of out of our day to just pause and release these emotions can truly serve to calm us. There is not necessarily a right and wrong way to meditate either, so do whatever you feel called to do.

You could try closing your eyes and imagining that you’re sitting in a bed of flowers, criss-crossed with the echo of water crashing before you. This is merely an example, but you can visualize whichever happy place you can think of and transport yourself there.

Or, if you want to take it a step further, you can try to incorporate crystals into your meditation as well. Different crystals have different effects on your energy, and you can pick one based off what chakra you’re hoping to target, for instance. It can be a crystal that helps ease your crown, like moonstone, or you can focus on your root chakra and set the intention to be grounding with a crystal such as aventurine.

Of course, doing your own research always helps when determining which way you want to do this.

Step Two: Get in Tune

When you go out into nature, how much would you say you interact with the world around you?

Do you just breeze down the sidewalk, headphones stuffed in your ears and eyes straight ahead?

Or do you actually take a second to glance into the sky and watch as the family of birds fly above your head, or even throw away the trash beside your shoes at the next garbage can that you see?

I’m guilty of neglecting the world around me, too, but when you take a moment to pay attention to the little things, you begin notice things about yourself, too.

Not only will nature help you feel at peace, you will also feel more in tune with yourself when doing things outside. There are many activities that you can embark on such as taking a walk. This may be the most simple idea when it comes to being in nature, just strolling through it and relishing in the comfort that the day and night brings. Maybe on your walk you can explore new places (you might even find a quiet spot that you like, hint hint), or you can even stop and hug a nearby tree.

When you’re next to water, try splashing around in it to cleanse your body, or skip a rock across it and think of this as you throwing your worries far away from you. Why not let yourself be free by walking barefoot with your soles sinking into the sand or letting the blades of grass kiss the tip of your toes as well?

If these things sound out of your comfort zone, try doing something you’re more familiar with in nature, such as a hobby. You can try voice work by singing or humming a song on your playlist, or you can draw what you see around you — heck, you can even bring a book and read it in the grass with a sheet sitting comfortably beneath you.

But most importantly, think of the sun. Letting the sun hit your face is an instant mood lifter and it can fill you with much needed happiness if you let it.

It’s magical when we use the earth as our safe space.

The possibilities are endless when basking in the ambience that nature provides. Your spirit becomes lifted and you start to notice and appreciate the small details you may have overlooked before. Becoming more connected to Mother Earth helps you connect to the parts that may be missing, and with that in mind, my last piece of advice is to talk to the earth. Let the earth know how you feel, let her hear you and let her be your support.

Because I promise that she’ll help you lift that blanket that was so hard to escape before.

Rakia is currently attending the University of North Texas and is studying Business Marketing. She enjoys writing, dabbling in creative hobbies, and traveling.