Style

Four NYFW Fall Trends To Bring Back This Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

New York is one of the four main fashion capitals in the world, which is why New York Fashion Week is considered the origin of trend setting for each new blooming season. Fall trends from the February shows are finally coming in to play, with the leaves turning burnt orange and hot lattes making a fashionable return.

High-end designers have set the bar at a high by transcending the theme of the altering revolution of a “Boss Lady,” as Alexander Wang would put it.  This autumn, we look up to our fellow fashion peers and use their guidance to develop our own diverse wardrobes, one accessory at a time.

1. Coats, coats, coats galore

From Tom Ford’s showcasing of unique leopard coats, we are reminded that there are coats for every mood. Trench coats are coming back in all different shapes, sizes, and materials, which also makes it all the more daring to have as a staple piece to match a casual outfit. Or even the return of the puffer coats -as seen in the Tory Burch collection- can be seen in fuller versions and they’ve definitely had an upgrade when it comes to being stylish. As displayed in Fendi’s show, coats are always a go to when you’re running late but still want to give off the illusion of a try-hard.

2. Tights..always

One thing I couldn’t get over when watching Alexander Wang’s show was his innovative way of subtly using tights/sheer black hose. According to trend, this fall centers around a sense of less exposure, and wearing tights with everything and anything is a way to transform into a girl boss in the matter of seconds. Tights under skirts, shorts, or even loose fitting pants, make any look seem untouchable and classy.

3. Pattern mixing

The thought of mixing two polar opposite patterns is terrifying..even to me. But don’t be afraid to experiment. In Michael Kors’ collection, you see example after example of patterns and prints being thrown together and making a statement. The beauty of fashion is it’s lack of uniformity, and the key to mastering a two-pattern look is making sure the pieces compliment each other in color tone or match in the same scheme.

4. Oversized

Another common trend I’ve seen is oversized sweaters and bags. Personally, oversized sweaters are a way to not only feel cozy but look effortlessly cute. This is perfect for those of you who want to look stylish but don’t want to go overboard. Nothing is more feel-good than a oversized sweater/sweatshirt with thigh-high boots and a mini purse.

NYFW has gifted us endless opportunities to take outfits right from the runway and make it our own, so don’t be too intimidated to make your own collection.

Wanna be lawyer who's knee deep in the fashion industry with a caffeine addiction (:
Scotlyn is a UNT alum, Class of 2020. She graduated with a degree in Digital and Print Journalism and a minor in English. During her time with Her Campus, she served as the Chapter President for two years, and also held positions as Chapter Advisor, Writer, and Chapter Expansion Assistant through Her Campus Media. And yes, her name is like the country, but spelled differently.