Cooking with Lay: Blackened Catfish Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

What’s the hardest thing about living away from your parents? Not being able to get home cooked meals! Dining halls can get old real fast and fast food restaurants start to become too costly. The only option you have next is to cook your own food. If you don’t want to eat Ramen noodles every night, continue reading this as I explain how I make my blackened catfish!

What you will need: 

• Catfish fillets
  • Seasoning salt
  • Pepper
  • Garlic Powder
  • Stick of butter
  • Bowl
  • Pan
  • Stove

Directions:

1. Clean and prep the meat
  2. Turn on the stove to medium or high (your preference) and allow the pan to heat up
  3. Mix seasoning together to your liking (i advise equal amounts of each to keep a balance)
  4. Melt at least half a stick of butter
  5. Once butter is a melted, evenly distribute it across fish so that they have a generous amount of butter on both sides
  6. Time for seasoning! Sprinkle your seasonings all over the fillets, flip and then repeat so that both sides or seasoned.
  7. Place the fillets on the stove and allow them to cook for at least 3 minutes on each side and take them off.
Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.