8 Ways to Enjoy Fall When It’s Still Hot Outside

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Photo by Flo Dahm

Autumn is here again, folks! But if you’re like me, and you live in the part of the country where it’s still 85 degrees and above every day, it can be hard to appreciate all the great things that come back during the season. Here’s some simple ways to bring the fall spirit into your life without sweating through a jacket you don’t need.

Enjoy the iced version of your favorite seasonal lattes. Starbucks, we’re looking at you. Go ahead, get that PSL iced with whip. You deserve it.

Enjoy fall-scented things. While candles smell nice, you often can’t burn them living on-campus. An essential oil diffuser works nicely to diffuse warm scents through your room without being a fire hazard. If that’s not your style, there are plenty of room sprays on the market labeled “pumpkin spice”! Spritz your way to happiness!

Wear darker makeup. Dig out your dark eyeshadows and deep lipsticks! While you might not want to go full vamp yet, a brown lipstick or smudged gray eyeliner can be fun and unexpected right now.

Make a fall playlist. Making a playlist is the perfect way to get into the fall mood. Envision yourself crunching through leaves, real or not, and start adding songs! (Our favorite song that reminds us of fall is “Rhiannon” by Fleetwood Mac. Just a suggestion.)

Make fall-themed treats. Leaf and pumpkin-shaped cookie cutters are a dime a dozen! Get creative in your usage of canned pumpkin puree. Sinking your teeth into something that tastes like fall will get you in the mood for sure.

Repurpose your cold-weather clothes. So you can’t really wear your flannels right now. Tie them around your waist instead! Got a favorite scarf? Wrap your hair with it instead. The possibilities are endless.

Watch Halloween movies (with kettle corn!). Halloween may be a few weeks away, but you can get into the spirit now. Pop in an old favorite from your childhood, and pop some popcorn. Pro tip: this is even more fun with friends and lots of laughs.

Decorate for the season. Put up paper leaves! Spread some gauzy black ribbon everywhere! The more creative you get, the more fun you’ll have. Just remember to follow decorating rules if you live in a dorm. A great Her Campus article of fall DIY décor can be found here: http://www.hercampus.com/school/mville/5-fall-decor-diys

What are some other ways you can think of? Let us know below!

Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.