5 Ways to Stay Low Stress During School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Coming back to school after a long break can be very stressful. Here are some tips to relax and take care of yourself when you can! (Remember: if your stress and anxiety persist, these aren’t substitutes for real professional help, just boosts along the way).

1. Write in a journal! Buy yourself a cute journal or DIY an old one. It can be very helpful to put your thoughts and fears onto paper.

2. Take a warm shower/bath. Taking 15-20 minutes to breathe in a warm shower can clear your head, both physically and mentally. Steam is good for your sinuses too!

3. Make something! Doing a fun craft or writing a poem can really help to explain what you’re feeling to yourself. And by the end, you have something you made yourself, which is a plus!

4. Go outside. Taking a walk outside or going for a run will increase the amount of endorphins being released in your body, which will perk you up for sure.

5. Use calming breathing techniques. Breathe in for ten seconds, breathe out for ten seconds, and repeat. Any meditation techniques will work to help center your crazy thoughts and take some of the weight off your shoulders.

Did we miss any? Leave your favorite technique to banish stress in the comments below!

Journalism major. I like dogs, poetry, and iced coffee, in that order. 
Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.