Six Reasons to Start Your Day with a Morning Run

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

If you’re like most people, your alarm in the morning pulls you from the blissful, responsibility-free dream world back to a harsh reality with deadlines, commitments, and obligations. Instead of going straight into your morning get-ready routine, why not add in a morning run to start the day with some fresh air and good old endorphin rush? If you still need more convincing, read on.

1. You’ll be out of bed. We all know the feeling of hearing our alarm going off and thinking “no way is it time to get up yet”. I don’t know about you, but more often than not when I hit snooze I end up oversleeping and then rushing around. A morning run will have you out of bed and on your feet before you even process what’s happening.

2. Sunrises. You’ll get to see them. Need I say more?  

3. Alone time. It’s refreshing to jog across campus before anyone else is out. No avoiding bicyclists, cars, or other people staring at their phone. The sidewalk is yours and yours alone.  

4. Music. Start out your morning with a jam session without bothering anyone. Blare your music at 6am in the dorms and you’ll get noise complaints, but blasting the tunes (and maybe even singing along) while out and about will make your run that much better.

​5. Healthy breakfast. After running a few miles it’ll be so much easier to skip the sugary breakfast cereal and go for the eggs, fruit, and yogurt. You’ve already started your day on a healthy note, why not keep it up?

6. Strength. After a few weeks of morning runs you’ll begin to notice a difference in your life. Suddenly the stairs don’t look like a mountain, your brisk walk to class doesn’t leave you out of breath, and who doesn’t love toned legs?