sharon mccutcheon 8lnbXtxFGZw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon 8lnbXtxFGZw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

Saving Change: It’s Worth Every Penny

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

Change is something often thought to be annoying or occasionally pointless. It rattles around in your pockets or clangs loudly onto the floor. Rather than letting it get lost in the depths of your bookbag, here’s an alternative: hang onto it.

About a year ago, my boyfriend and I decided we wanted to start saving for a future trip to Disney World. As college kids, setting aside money can be a challenge, so we decided to each start saving change in jars. It was almost mindless. At the end of the day, I would empty the change pocket in my wallet or my jeans pockets. Slowly, my jar filled.

We have since gone into the bank twice with our jars. It is like kids in a candy store as we watch our change pour into the large machines and try to guess back and forth how much money we have collected. I can promise you, it will be more than you think!

The first trip was around $400 and the second around $350!!

In less than a year, we were able to collect almost $800 of money that otherwise would’ve been lost or residing on the floors of our cars.

If you are in a situation where you are needed to set aside some money or a dream you’d like to save for, here is an easy tip to get that saving started. Hang onto those pennies and nickels!