6 Books You Should Have on Your Summer Reading List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

Ahh, summer. The time of the year where we can finally put down calculus and psychology textbooks and read something that we actually want to for a change. Whether you’re looking for a self-help book, fiction, etc. check out these seven books to put on your reading list. 

Self-Help

1. #Girlboss by Sophia Amoruso

If you haven’t read this yet, I’m going to let it slide. But you better get reading it soon because, hello, the movie is coming out! The great thing about this book is Sophia Amoruso’s honesty. She doesn’t sugarcoat anything and instead tells us how she got to where she is now in some of the most interesting (and hilarious!) ways.

2. Nice Girls Don’t Get the Corner Office: 101 Unconscious Mistakes Women Make That Sabotage Their Careers by Lois P Frankel

If you’re graduating soon, or even if you’re not, this book is a must read to set yourself up for a successful career. As women, we do so many things that we don’t even realize that can jeopardize our success. This book points out those mistakes that we don’t realize we are making, so you can thrive with the best of them. And get the pretty corner office, obvs.

Memoirs

3. The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls

This is one of my all-time favorite books. Jeannette Walls tells us the unbelievable way that she grew up with her parent’s alternative lifestyle.  This memoir will make you think twice about how you were raised. 

4. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou

You’ve probably seen or heard of this book before, but have never read the work of the great poet. It’s a challenging read, but definitely worth it. 

Fiction

5. Girls on Fire by Robin Wasserman

You’ll probably end up reading this book in a couple of days because it’s hard to put down once you start. Intense secrets are revealed after a boy in a small town commits suicide. Get your book light ready.

6. The Lovely Bones

While I’m sure many of you have seen the movie and loved it, the book is even better. You won’t believe all the details left out of the movie as Susie Salmon watches her friends and family from heaven after being raped and murdered. 

Find a hammock or a spot in the shade under a tree this summer, leave your phone inside, and spend some time with a good ol’ book. 

A twenty-year-old international business student with dreams much bigger than my 5'1 self. Slightly obsessed with Germany, Lana Del Rey, and cookie butter. 
Co-president of the UNL Her Campus chapter