This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

This semester has been one of the hardest that I have had at my time here at UNH. At the start of the year, I went through a breakup with someone I still am hoping to have in my life going forward. I’m still figuring that part out, but overall I’m trying my best to move forward. It has been really difficult for me to manage my anxiety as a result of these intense feelings of hurt and confusion. Some days I’ll be doing great and the next it will be the complete opposite. I’ve never understood the term “emotional rollercoaster” more in my life. I’m very lucky to have such amazing roommates, friends and family to help me through this hard time in my life. If it weren’t for them, I really don’t know how I would be doing at the moment. Figuring out how to manage what I’m going through along with my responsibilities regarding school and work has been one of the most challenging things I’ve had to do. My mind is always running with continuous thoughts and at times, it has been pretty hard for me to focus.

One thing I can say for myself right now is that I am starting to do a bit better (I hope). I think I’m just too tired to be sad anymore and I have decided to make changes in order to have a healthier mindset. The best things I have found that help, are distractions. Whether they involve school, work, or time with friends, distracting myself has helped me keep my mind at ease during the hardest times. Also, another thing I have done is gone to talk to someone to have an outlet to sort my emotions and feelings out. This has really helped me through this experience and has given me different perspectives in order to handle my anxiety in a more practical way. For the longest time, I never took the steps to get extra help, but I am so happy that I finally did.

Currently, I am doing better than I was at the beginning of the semester. It feels good to be able to say and write that after all that I have been feeling for the last couple of months. Recently, a few positive things have happened to help me move forward. I got a job for next semester on campus which I am really happy about. This way, I’ll be busy when I’m not in class. Also, my roommate is visiting me in my hometown in California over winter break, giving me something to look forward to. I think focusing on the positive things in my life has helped me shift my focus on bettering myself as well as my mental health. At this point, I need to focus on the people and things that bring me happiness in order to move forward with my life. I know times will still be hard going forward, but I am looking forward to a fresh start next semester.

To those going through a similar situation: you are not alone. I know it’s easier said than done, but try and focus on things that make you happy. I’m still working on this myself. Distract yourself with clubs, work, activities, anything that will ease your mind even if it’s temporary. Also, don’t be afraid to seek help in friends, family or from someone else. Based on my experience, it helped me sort through many of the complicated feelings and emotions that have been stuck on a loop in my head. I know I will get through this time through surrounding myself with my people and the things that I love to do. Now is the time to really start focusing on myself and my future.

Hi! My name is Melanie and I'm currently a Journalism major minoring in Communication. I love to write about everything, but I especially love writing about animals.
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!