Career

Why it’s Okay to Not Achieve All Your Goals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

It is inevitable that everyone disappointments themselves at one point or another because they were unable to complete a goal they set for themselves. We feel as though we need to succeed in everything we do. And I blame social media for that Influencers only post the good parts of their lives, making us feel inadequate for not having as prestigious of a job as them, for not eating as healthy as them, or not being as happy as them.

Well, I call BS to that.

Every single person experiences hardships. Please, please, please remember this. Not to sound cliché, but highs and lows are a part of life. We as humans are meant to experience all the emotions: happiness, sadness, anger, guilt, jealousy, excitement, etc. Just because you see everyone else smiling in pictures as you scroll through Instagram at 1:03 a.m blasting your “sad girl hour” playlist while crying about your week, doesn’t mean that they are actually that happy, or that they aren’t also doing the same exact thing.

These thoughts are inspired by my recent decision to drop my school’s honors program after working towards completing it for 3 years. I dropped it in my very last year of college. I felt so conflicted because my stress levels were telling me to, but my pride was telling me to stick it out. I had never quit anything in my life because I was scared of disappointing others, and myself. I finally realized, though, that people simply would not give a crap as to whether or not I graduated with honors. People would be proud of me regardless, and even if they aren’t, so what?

So yeah, I was disappointed that I won’t graduate with honors. But now that I don’t have to write a 50 page thesis paper on a year-long research project I don’t care about, my stress levels are significantly reduced, and I am having way more fun.

To make a long story short, don’t be afraid of a little disappointment. If you know that yucky feeling will only last a day or two and saying screw it to do what you want will have long-term benefits, do it. It’s good to be selfish once in a while.

Graduated (May '22) Neuroscience & Behavior student at the University of New Hampshire. Happy reading! HCXO