Wellness > Health

Tips to Improve Your Sleep Quality

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

It’s no secret that getting six to eight hours of sleep is important, but most of us don’t follow a set schedule that puts sleep quality first. Before going to bed, I used to spend hours on my phone which left me feeling drowsy each morning. Eventually, I learned that screen time before bed disrupts natural melatonin production, preventing you from feeling sleepy. Instead of scrolling on your phone, here are some healthy alternatives that I’ve implemented into my sleep routine.

READING

Reading is one of my favorite ways to wind down. It helps me separate myself from daily stressors and mental chatter. By blocking out an hour before bed two to three times a week, you give yourself time to destress and forget about the world around you for a moment. Reading is a state of relaxation that is bound to get your internal clock back on the right track!

JOURNALING

On nights where I feel the most overwhelmed, I tend to journal. Typically, I write about my feelings throughout the day to identify the things that made me feel negative. Writing about internal and external feelings is a healthy and personal way to clear your mind before bed.

Journaling Prompts I Use:

• What’s on my mind right now?
  • Emotions I felt today include…
  • Write down one word to describe your day.
STREtching

Taking 15-30 minutes three times a week to stretch your body is a great way to naturally relieve stress. Along with this, completing a series of breathing exercises can calm and prepare your body to sleep.

Consistency is key…

Going to bed at the same time every night along with completing a destressing activity will help you stay asleep throughout the night and feel more energized in the morning!

Gabby's a freshman and is a genetics major and she likes reading and going to the beach