This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Wow. As I write my final article I can’t help but sit here in awe. While four years seems like a long time, it flew by in the blink of an eye. To think just a few short years ago I was packing up my childhood room and preparing to embark on a new journey in my life.

At first, I was terrified. While it didn’t help I had tonsilitis just a few days before move-in, the idea of living in a new state hours away from my family was quite daunting. I remember thinking that I was going to be so homesick and that I was going to struggle with making new friends or finding things to eat (thanks anxiety!). Fortunately, that all changed the minute I stepped foot onto campus. I knew that this was my home and I was about to have the best four years of my life.

During freshman year, I found who I truly was. I made so many new friends who shared similar interests as me and learned how to live on my own, all while studying hard and maintaining good grades. Saying goodbye at the end of freshman year was one of the hardest goodbyes I think I have ever made. The people I met were truly some of the most amazing people on this earth and I couldn’t be more thankful to have known them and still have them in my life today.

My sophomore year was a whirlwind. The beginning started off great; it was honestly my favorite year in college even now. The people I surrounded myself with have truly made the biggest impact on my life to this date. But alas, COVID-19 came in and changed everything. Getting sent home was so hard. There were so many unknowns and we had no idea if we would ever return to campus or not. Also, completing clinicals and nursing classes online is NOT an easy task but hey, I did it!

My junior year seems like a fever dream. Everyone was still navigating the pandemic and there were constant covid outbreaks which meant being in quarantine for days on end. Junior year was a hard year and I struggled with anxiety and depression. Even though I was back with my friends, I still felt isolated. That year was challenging academically and life-wise, making the perfect storm for mental health struggles. But guess what, I got through it! The grass is truly greener on the other side.

This brings me to my final year. I’ve had so many ups and downs but they have truly made me stronger as a person. I was co-president of my organization (HCXO!), I made so many new friends, but I also went through so many challenges. Growing up is not easy. Having to make life-altering decisions seems like it will never happen but then all at once they show up and demand to be made. I will say I am so thankful for the opportunities I was given this year and for the personal growth I have made. I’ve realized who my true friends are and how to make decisions for me, and no one else.

As this chapter comes to a close, I’m already planning for the next. I’ll be moving to the big city (eek!) and starting the career that I have worked so hard for. I can’t wait to begin this new chapter but I’m going to soak in the final moments of the current one.

To all of my friends I’ve made at UNH, thank you. Thank you for making me a better person and pushing me to see the good. I will forever be grateful to you all.

It’s not a goodbye, it’s a see you later.

HCXO,

Sof

just your average nursing major trying to survive:)