This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

It’s no secret that COVID-19 has infiltrated every aspect of our lives. Jobs, meetings, socializing, and school are all completely different than they used to be. I don’t want my words to minimize the importance and priority of everyone’s safety and health, I’m just sharing my frustrations that go along with our new world, especially within the realm of education. But, we’re all starting to adjust to this new norm, whether or not we like it.

Last semester felt different because we thought it was only temporary. But now that this is just how life is, being a student at Zoom University is less than ideal. I know I’m not alone in feeling like I have no idea ‘how to college’ anymore. I just moved into my first apartment, so I’m only on campus twice a week. TWICE A WEEK??! I chose to have the full college experience instead of taking online classes for multiple reasons. I am so appreciative of all of the professors and their attempts to accommodate in these unprecedented times, but I feel like it’s so hard to stay organized. I have talked to many friends and classmates, and have realized almost every other college student feels the same way. We can’t even whisper to the person next to us when we’re confused, because 1. we’re so far apart and 2. masks make it harder to hear and you can’t compensate by reading lips!

Office hours aren’t in the office, assignments are constantly changing, and the wifi is always slow. And we can’t even blow off the stress of the week by partying or going to sports games. But all that being said and having complained until I can’t anymore, I just wanted to share that you are not the only one that feels like they’re teaching themselves this semester. We are having to relearn how to learn. The lack of engagement makes it very hard for most people, including myself, to stay motivated and keep a stable routine. Especially as winter approaches, it is going to be very important to help manage seasonal depression, along with the remote learning that keeps you stuck in the house for most of the day.

Here are some things that I think can help with your motivation and mental health if you’re looking for some more tips. They’ve been working for me so far!

1. Go for walks! In between Zoom calls, get up and get some fresh air. Even 10 or 15 minutes in the sunshine can improve mood and help relieve tension.
  2. Eat/ drink some citrus! If you don’t have time to make/ get coffee or caffeine, it can help you wake up! Or if you’re me, help keep you awake during your 8am lecture that you listen to while still lying in bed. Oops LOL.
  3. EXERCISE. Believe me, I know how hard it is. But, no need to go to the gym if you’re uncomfortable with it or it’s just not your thing. Yoga, pilates, or barre are some great ways to stay relaxed while also moving your body and releasing endorphins. Free classes are always available on YouTube!
  4. Skincare routine!! Masckne (mask acne) is a real problem, and it’s here for the foreseeable future. Establishing a good washing and moisturizing routine can help with breakouts and dry or oily skin. Self-care always!
  5. Give yourself a break. If it’s painting your nails while watching an episode of Vampire Diaries, or taking a nap, or anything else that brings you to your happy place, do it without guilt. Let yourself breathe, this new way of life is stressful for a lot of reasons. Don’t be so hard on yourself.

Stay healthy, you are the most important person in your life. All you can do is your best!

Even though these can help enhance general happiness and motivation, please reach out to those around you if you’re struggling. Remember you are loved! We can make the best of remote learning, it will just take some time and effort. Here are some resources that may be helpful:

• SAMSHA (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration): 1 (800) 950 – 6264
  • National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
  • National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1 (800) 799 – 7233
  • RAINN (Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network): 1 (800) 656-4673

"Godesses don't speak in whispers, they scream" -Lady Gaga eep1017@wildcats.unh.edu
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!