SPOTlight on the new JOINTS Around Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

This week I got to combine my two favorite things (writing and eating) by getting to write about what I ate!!!

As most of you are probably aware, Durham is undergoing some big changes downtown, including the addition of the brand new Spot and our very own Lexie’s Joint (that recently opened 7 days per week I am happy to report). I tried them both this week, and was very happy with the results.

(P.S.: Sorry if you’re hungry – I just ate and writing this made me hungry all over again, so I would suggest grabbing a snack!)

First up: Lexie’s Joint

Address: 10 Jenkins Ct

Hours: Every Day 11:30 A.M. – 8:00 P.M.

Website: peaceloveburgers.com

What I ordered: “Instant Classic” with a side of Truffle Fries and a Diet Cola

Cheddar Cheese / Lettuce / Hush-Hush Sauce / Pickles / Grilled Onions

Overall Experience Rating: I’m not going to lie – I LOVE Lexies. I loved it when it was in Portsmouth and I love, love, love being able to walk to it and pick up a burger from there within 15 minutes of ordering. I feel like it’s the perfect amount of food for the price (I spent around $11) and the quality of burger you’re getting. 

Plus, they have alcoholic milkshakes. You really can’t go wrong with something that combines ice cream and alcohol.

Next up: The Spot

Address: In the Back, 8 Jenkins Ct

Hours: Every Day 8 A.M. – 6 P.M. 

So the Spot is this pretty cool place downtown (located in the back of Lexie’s funnily enough) that offers smoothies, acai bowls and blends. I’ve never had an acai bowl before, so I was pretty excited to try something so different. In case you (like me) is confused by healthy words I included a little study guide to help you as found on the wall in The Spot.

They have smoothies too (for the less adventurous) and I definitely want to head back and try one because they look UNREAL.

You can build your own acai bowl. 

This was too daunting for me as an acai bowl virgin, so I stuck to picking something off the menu. Basically, as far as I can tell, you can choose between acai and pitaya bowls. I chose Pitaya, more based on the fact that it looked the best to me out of the options.

What I ordered: The Classic

BLEND: Pitaya – Strawberry – Apple Juice with Granola, Banana and Strawberry topping

Overall Experience Rating: I liked it but I still kind of don’t really get it? I wasn’t sure what kind of meal category it fell into – was it a meal? A dessert? A snack? But whatever it was it very good, but very different. It was like a frozen sorbet, only better and tasted like real fruit. Only downside: I still have black seeds stuck in my teeth. But who cares about a few black seeds when you have something this tasty in your stomach? The small was $6.50 (more than a Ben & Jerry’s pint at Hannaford’s FYI) but it did fill me up and worked well as a mid day snack. I don’t think their small size could replace a meal, but I heard from someone who got their large that it filled them up and worked great as a meal. 

Someone told me acai bowls and the like are a good replenisher for after you work out, but since I spend my days watching Netflix instead of hitting the gym most of the time, I’ll have to wait to test the theory. I really did like them though, and would love the opportunity to test a smoothie. The Spot was fun, exciting and different, and I highly recommend it because whatever it was that I ate was delicious. 

If you’re going to make me choose between the two though – I’ll have to go for Lexie’s just because I’m a burger girl through and through. So if I only had say $11 in my bank account, I would probably go for the burger, fries and a soda before an acai or pitaya bowl but that’s just me. But trying something healthy was nice for a change, so I hope you take the time to try them both out when you get a chance!

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!