1. Put your phone away during class! Keep it in your desk drawer, in your backpack or anywhere else where you’re not tempted to look at it. You will be able to solely focus on your Zoom, in person class session or homework so much more easily!
2. Use sticky notes/notebook/notes on your laptop to keep track of work. I personally LOVE to cross things off on a list. I find that I get so much more done if I am crossing my long list off. I always have a pad of sticky notes in my backpack to jot random things down as they come up throughout my day, and sticky notes can easily stick on my laptop so I always have easy access to my list.
3. Get a monthly calendar for deadlines. Sticky notes work well for homework assignments, but a calendar works better for due dates farther in the future. Things like exams, projects, presentations, etc. You can also plan out your time better if you can actually see how long you have until a certain assignment is due (then you can use sticky notes for your smaller milestones to get that project or studying done on time!)
4. Make a routine to fall into. This will keep you on top of things and help you hold yourself accountable. Getting used to a schedule is something that really helps me because I like knowing what my day holds. Getting up at a certain time each morning and knowing what I have to do for the day puts my mind at ease simply because I always need things to be organized.
5. Set incentives. As nice as it is to get things all done at once, you’re going to fry yourself out! Setting incentives helps space out your time and helps to give your mind a rest every once and awhile. It can be anything from getting up and stretching after finishing five math problems to going to get a coffee after taking lecture notes. Just something to get you up and out of your seat every so often.
6. Switch up your study spaces! Don't stay in your dorm room all day (unless self- quarantining of course). Go to the library for a few hours, study outside, go do homework in your dorm lounge, anything to switch up your surroundings!
7. Finally, get outside and stay active!! Being on Zoom lectures and having a bunch of homework each day can let time slip away from you- Trust me, I know. Make sure you set aside an hour or two to go to the gym, go for a walk or a run, etc. to get yourself outside! It will work wonders, I promise!!
Of course, each preference varies from person to person, but trying out different study spaces, different ways to stay on top of work and deadlines, and staying active never hurts! After a few trail runs you will find what works best for you!
Stay safe and stay healthy! Xx