Reflectin’ Through Writing: Why it’s Important for Mental Health

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Settling back into classes and the school routine, as well as seeing friends and catching up after a summer apart, is exciting. However, getting accustomed to the workload, deadlines, projects, and a new professor(s) can evoke some stress. In the first couple weeks of school, I always get anxious about the upcoming balancing act with the new semester, although I try not to show it. Once I get past the jitters, I feel more comfortable in my own skin. When stress takes hold, I devote just about 10-15 minutes to write, whether I’m in the library in the midst of an assignment or before bed at the end of the day. It’s a nice break to free-write (especially with music as the best companion). I’m always analyzing or surveying literature & writing pieces for classes, so to be able to reflect on events, people, or thoughts that cloud my mind is therapeutic.

Take some time for your beautiful mind to reflect. It’s important for your mental health as well as boost of confidence. “But I’m not a writer”… “I can’t do this”…”how can I elaborate on this”… “I don’t have the time, I’m so busy”– stop the negative thinking, here!  Anyone can do it, no matter the skill level or major; whether you fill a page in a journal or jot a few terms in your notebook/planner. There’s something powerful about seeing your thoughts on paper. Don’t know where to start? Here are a few topics you can elaborate on when you have a free moment:

Summer:

The summer is meant for the sunny days by the lake and the memories made when you weren’t working 8-10 hours a day. Other stepping stones of the summer include: internships you invested your time in and completed, books you were able to dive into, or concerts/events you went to. Write about the scenes you encountered on your endeavors: a hike, family vacation, beach trip with friends, crusin’ on the back-roads, etc. and how you felt being outside, sweatin’ and breathin’ in the open air.

Relationships:

Surrounding yourself with positive people is the key to gathering the good vibes. Use the short time in your busy schedule to write about your close friends/roommates: how they make you laugh, inside-jokes, and how they build you up when you’re feeling blue. In addition, write about your family: how they inspire you and what you’ve learned from them.

Hardships you overcame:

This is a good one to reflect on. Seeing how you transitioned from a hard time is the best way to build strength and confidence. Think about something you overcame this summer, maybe a broken friendship or relationship, an interview, an encounter, etc. Write about how you feel in the moment now that you conquered it and walked through “the fire”.

Music:

This is my favorite topic to dive into. I’m a music-junkie, and try to listen to a different genre or album each day. Whether i’m en-route to class or sweatin’ through stress at the gym, there are times where certain lyrics relate so well to my mood or what’s going on in my life. So, next time a lyric makes a connection, write about how it makes you feel, and what the singer is trying to make us think.

Goals:

Transcribing your goals is SO important because you’ll view it as an objective or reminder; something to strive for. Goals range from soaring in academics this semester to making more time for yourself and social life, or improving in fitness or cooking. Write these goals and think about what you can do in your routine to make it happen. You can do this with inspirational sayings/quotes as well!

So, I know that school consumes about 99% of our time. Because of this, we’re trained to rise above stress, making us lose time for ourselves. But, 10-15 minutes is all it takes to connect pen to paper and reflect a few important topics. We all have the ability to transcribe our thoughts and reflect, no matter what we major in; that’s the beauty and reward.

Hi I'm Bri! I'm an English major with a minor in Communication from CT. I've been a Contributing Writer to the Her Campus UNH Chapter since October 2016. For the Fall 2018 - Spring 2019 school year, I was promoted to Senior Editor. The women at HC-UNH are truly amazing, displaying strength and emotion in their writing. I love being a part of the team, and reading many perspectives on music, academics, life, and relationships. 
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!