This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

It’s that time of year again! Friends, family, presents, decorations, gingerbread houses, and everything else fun and full of holiday magic. Even if you don’t celebrate Christmas, it is a cultural fact that this is the time of year to be jolly, cheerful, and thankful. But what if you aren’t?

I know I’m not super jolly right now. This was a really hard semester for me, and finals wiped me out completely. I barely have the energy to watch my comfort TV shows, let alone go through the whole family holiday traditions. I’m exhausted, and stressed, because let’s be honest, presents aren’t cheap. I just want to sleep all winter break, and of course that makes me feel guilty, because my family still wants to be festive, and I feel like if I don’t go along with it then I become the Grinch who ruins Christmas. But that’s not fair to me, and if you relate at all to this it’s not fair to you either. 

Christmas and Hanukkah and New Years and all the other holidays around this time of year are often big events that include big family things, whether it’s dinners or parties or gift exchanges. But it’s okay to be tired. Tired is completely reasonable, and honestly should be expected more. Family time can be exhausting, especially right after finals week, and especially in the middle of winter when sunshine and warmth are nowhere to be found. Self care is essential right now, and whether that’s taking a bath at the end of the night or making yourself a fancy omelet for breakfast, take the time to look after yourself. 

Most importantly though? Don’t feel guilty about not feeling the perfect holiday spirit. It’s not a required part of the season, but mental health is. Holly and jolly are good things to aspire to, but if you can’t manage it, that’s okay. Sometimes you just have a holiday, and that can be good enough. 

Senior Anthropology and Philosophy major with a habit of picking up productive hobbies as healthy anxiety and ADHD coping mechanisms!
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!