This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

With the semester coming to an end, I know a lot of students are starting to think about getting an internship for the summer. Besides updating your resume, writing a cover letter, and actually applying to places, there are a few other things to know. Once you have applied, the next step is to see if you get offered an interview. If so, this is your time to elaborate on your skills, discuss relevant things that weren’t on your resume, and show off your personality. At this point in my collegiate career, I have had my share of both good and bad interviews. Here are some of my main tips that I have learned throughout the interview process. 

1. Do your research

You never want to go into an interview without doing at least a little research into the company. Even looking up basic information, such as what the company does, is super important to be prepared for an interview. Not only is this helpful in case the recruiter asks you about the company, but it can also help you determine whether this company is a place you actually want to work. Even doing a little research and preparation goes a long way.

2. Ask questions

My biggest piece of advice when it comes to interviewing is to ask questions. Before the interview, write down a list of questions you have for the recruiter. It could be questions about the role you are applying for, about the company, or even questions specifically for the recruiter. If you have a question, don’t be afraid to ask it. However it is important to keep things professional when asking your questions.  

3. Be Yourself

I know that sounds cheesy, but it is true. It is important to show the recruiter an authentic version of yourself during the interview process. You should be yourself instead of behaving how you think the ideal candidate would. This will help the recruiter get to know you as a person and determine if you will be a good fit for the role. You might also realize that the company or role might not be the best option for you if you stay true to yourself. At the end of the day, you have to pick what is going to work best for you. 

I know looking for an internship can be stressful and overwhelming, but they can really provide students with great experiences. The interview process can be daunting, but if you do your homework and show up prepared you are headed in the right direction. If you don’t get an internship right away, don’t be discouraged. The right fit will come along if you keep trying. 

I hope you found these tips helpful! 

Hi I'm Sophia Badala! I am a senior here at UNH studying Business Administration with a focus in Marketing. This is my fourth year writing for Her Campus and I love being a part of this team!