This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Everyone has their own saving grace of a movie, one that will never get old and something we would give anything to go back in time and re-watch for the first time in order to feel the overwhelming sense of completion. For me, my saving grace of a movie was The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

As defined in the movie itself, a “wallflower” is someone who sees things and understands (like a fly on the wall… if flies had feelings).

So, I’m sure you’re wondering why I’m writing an ode to my favorite young adult film, well here it is: We all know I could sit here behind a screen and write that I was the queen bee of the town, everyone knew me, everyone loved me and I would trade anything in this life to relive it. You probably would believe me because you wouldn’t know any better. I could, also, sit behind the screen and be flat out honest and say that I hated the version of myself that walked through the school halls just a few years ago and I would give anything to erase those memories from my mind.

(Just a little hint, the second scenario is true.)

Everyone wants to be someone, and everyone wants to be remembered, but it is so incredibly hard and extremely toxic to “be someone” when everyone else is fighting to “be someone” at the exact same time.

I don’t think it necessarily needs to be said, but I’m going to say it- The media tends to depict high school from the perspectives of the popular, picture-perfect, athlete, prom king and queen who rule the school day in and day out. The truth of the matter is that it may be accurate for about 20% of the student population, while the rest of the students are unaccounted for, as side characters and background noise. And in my case, it definitely didn’t help that I was sandwiched between two siblings who were those popular kids.  

The Perks of Being a Wallflower showed me a side of the story that I had never been exposed to; it’s okay to be in the shadows as long as you are happy with where you are. I believe part of the reason why it was so hard for me to come to this conclusion was due to the fact that I had seen the movies and read the books and was watching my brother and sister have the time of their lives right in front of my eyes.

The inaccuracy in the representation of high school is arguably a driving factor in why young adult films seem to thrive among the teen audience because it gives an insight into any other experience that is not their own.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower beautifully encapsulates the good, the bad and the ugly, while additionally being relatable for young adults like me, the quiet wallflower. The story follows a young boy, Charlie, as he starts high school, shy, alone, and trying to find his footing… only to be saved by upperclassmen who bring Charlie into the comforting world of being a wallflower. The movie also portrays heartbreak, mental health struggles, trauma and other extremely realistic issues that seem to be glossed over in the traditional coming of age story.

If you haven’t watched this movie or read the book, from the bottom of my heart I beg you… It is one of the only things that has brought me to a clear understanding of who I am and it just might help you define yourself too.

I am currently studying English at the University of New Hampshire! After I graduate I would love to become an author... it has been my dream since I was little!
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!