This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

I am a sophomore in college, I am in a sorority, and I go to what people refer to as a “party” school, and I have never had a drink of alcohol. You probably think I am either lying or crazy, right? This is my own choice out of personal reasons but I’m going to share with you some of pros and cons of this challenging lifestyle.

Pro: I probably have the most authentic and natural fun at parties out of everyone there because I am fully aware of everything that is going on and I am able to remember everything.

Con: I am automatically the “mom” in all situations where alcohol is involved. 

Pro: I have extra cash to spend because I am not spending it on alcohol. 

Con: At parties, guys always assume that girls drunk and/or tipsy, so they think they can get away with things.

Pro: I am able to be like “no no honey” if I’m not into a guy at a party.

Con: Sometimes people get offended and give you attitude when they offer you a drink and you say no.

Pro: I am never hungover and I haven’t developed an alcohol dependency like a lot of my peers have. 

Being sober in college has definitely proved to be harder than I thought it would be. We live in a society where drinking is the social norm and it’s something that college students bond over which is bizarre to me but I don’t share my opinions about this in public out of fear of the backlash. For anyone who is interested in taking an alcoholic cleanse, I just want to let you know that it’s not impossible and you might even find you will end up having more fun without having your judgment fogged, I believe in you. 

Hey Y’all! I’m currently a senior at the Univeristy of New Hampshire studying Program and Event Management! I transferred here from Texas as a Sophmore!  A couple fun facts about me are: I have lived in 6 different states, I’m obsessed with fashion and photography, and I LOVE to sing country music!!
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!