Wellness > Mental Health

It’s My Birthday– and I’ll Cry if I Want To!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Every year it feels like my birthday encroaches on me. Always accompanying it is this overwhelming feeling of sadness and I have no idea why. I have no reason to feel anything but grateful on my birthdays; I have great friends and family who love and support me endlessly! So why do I always feel like I might burst into tears as I blow out my candles?

Turns out this feeling that I’ve described is more common than you might think, and it even has a name. According to PscyhCentral, birthday depression or “birthday blues” is when you experience symptoms of dread, sadness, and other similar symptoms on or around your birthday.

There are a lot of different reasons why you might be experiencing the birthday blues on your so-called special day. You might dread the idea of aging, be anxious about expectations with your new age, or just find celebrations overwhelming in general. Regardless of the reason, your feelings are valid and you are not alone!

How Can I beat The Birthday Blues?

1. Celebrate Your Birthday How You want to Celebrate It

After all, it is your birthday. Don’t let anybody tell you how you should be spending it!

2. Talk To Somebody You Trust

Let somebody know about the apprehension you are feeling surrounding your birthday. Having at least one person you can talk to is super important and can be extremely relieving. Who knows, they might even be experiencing the same feelings as you are.

3. Cash In On Your Birthday Freebies

What better way to cure those birthday blues than with a free drink at Starbucks? You can find a list of birthday freebies from all of your favorite stores here.

4. Don’t Compare Your Birthday To Others

Just because someone you follow on Instagram took a big trip for their birthday doesn’t mean yours is less important or exciting. Stay away from comparing your celebration to others as it can lead to FOMO and worsen your birthday blues.

5. Practice Acceptance

Accept your new age and accept all of the feelings that accompany you on your birthday. Think of all you have achieved and overcome to make it this far!

So here’s to another trip around the sun and to hoping for a day free of the birthday blues. But even if I do catch the blues again this year, I’ll know that I’m not alone. And besides, TikTok told me that hot girls cry on their birthdays.

Meg is a senior (2024) at UNH majoring in communication and minoring in business administration. She loves traveling, shopping, going to the beach, and coffee!