This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Winter is not everyone’s favorite season, especially for those up North that deal with the snow! While it comes with its upsides (Holiday SZN!!), winter gets boring after a while. Keep reading for tips to avoid getting the winter blues!

1. Head to the Mountains

Getting away for a ski weekend is a perfect way to get active and be outside! Many mountains have deals for students and first timers so it can be less expensive than you think. Not only do you get to learn a new skill, at the top of the mountain there are killer views and even a chance to snap a pic for your VCSO or Instagram.

2. Ice Skating

If you’re like me, ice skating is more like ice falling. Don’t let that stop you from going with some friends and falling…together! This is another option where it can be a low cost, as most ice-rinks have student deals or specialty themed nights. After skating around you can get a snack (you’ve definitely earned it!) and laugh about the whole experience.

3. Spend a night in

If going outdoors isn’t exactly your style, then opt for a night in. Make hot cocoa, do a face mask, and binge your favorite Netflix show. Not every night has to be spectacular, so taking some time for yourself during the winter is the perfect! You can also cross some things off your to do list that have been sitting there for months (i.e. cleaning your room).

4. Try Something New

It can be easy to fall into a routine and get bored. Try doing a new activity or hobby to break your routine. There are so many options for things to do in the winter. Check out this list below!

• Go bowling
  • Try a paint bar class (typically it’s good to sign up ahead of time!)
  • Go to a trampoline park
  • Pick up a new fitness class
  • Sign up for an intramural
  • Go to a live music show (there are usually some 18+ nights at bars)
  • Do a DIY project

5. Practice Self-Care

Self-care is super important, especially in the Winter! Seasonal depression, common during the winter, is a very real diagnosis and shouldn’t be pushed aside. Taking some time for yourself is important to keep yourself positive and balanced. Do any of your favorite things to relax, whether it be reading a book or taking a nap (yes, naps are not just for children) and it can improve your mood and help you to destress.

If after all these ideas you still have the winter blues, just remember that spring is coming! It’s okay to seek help and talk to someone if you’re feeling down. Whether it be a friend, family member or professional, there are a lot more people than you think that are willing to lend an open ear!

University of New Hampshire HC
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!