This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Four years ago, I was a sophomore in high school. I was still finding my feet in a new school since I decided to go somewhere else for high school other than my town’s school. It was October when I had just turned 16 and entered my first real relationship. I was so “in love” and blinded to all the toxicity it contained. It wasn’t till a few weeks later that I ate something weird that started a downward spiral. Come to find out, I had IBS but before I was diagnosed, I had no idea what was wrong with me. I started to get anxious and soon became depressed. I didn’t attend school and the only people I saw were my parents and my boyfriend at the time. This went on for about three months until I mustered up the courage to go back to school, although I ended up transferring. 

It was a rocky start being back; people spread rumors that I was pregnant or that I wouldn’t graduate on time. It was hard on me but I looked passed it. Later on in the year, I ended up breaking up with my boyfriend and made better friends than I had at my previous school. My life started to go back to the way it was and I was thriving.

Fast forward four years and I’m currently a sophomore in college at the University of New Hampshire. I just turned 20 (omg) and I couldn’t be any happier. I’m going to school to become a nurse which is my absolute passion. I have more friends than I’ve ever had before and I’m the happiest I’ve ever been. While some days are rough and I want to sleep for an eternity, other days are some of the best days of my life that I will tell my grandkids about when they’re older.

Looking back, I never would have thought I would come this far but here I am. Happy as a clam and thriving. My one piece of advice would be to always ask for help. No one is going to shun or make fun of you for it; if anything they’re going support you even more.

I hope everyone is having a fantastic semester and I’ll see ya in my next article!

Xoxo,

Sofie

just your average nursing major trying to survive:)
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!